Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Karock. That's a wonderful artifact you've inherited and I'm sure you'll find many here who will appreciate that fine rifle for the priceless family heirloom that it is. We have a thread dedicated to the stories of these heirlooms here...http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/guns-our-fathers/44249-guns-our-fathers.html and yours would be a welcome addition if you are so inspired.

I wouldn't give refinishing a second thought...the wear and battle scars that rifle displays were earned honestly, put there by your grandfather's own hands, and each and every one tells a story. Refinishing it would be akin to wiping the slate clean and eliminating all that family history. Enjoy it just as it is, for the close connection to your grandfather it so ably embodies.

Roe

· Premium Member
5,303 Posts
A light scrubbing with 0000 steel wool saturated with a good gun oil (I prefer Kroil for this purpose) will remove most surface rust without additional damage to the bluing. If you have an especially large freckle of rust, or one especially stubborn, allow that spot to soak a bit with the Kroil then use the edge of a true copper penny to gently scrape away the rust.

Roe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.