Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Grandfather purchased this rifle brand new in 1954, a .35 Remington 336SC. Its been in the family since, did decades of work as a deer rifle (before they were outlawed in Ohio) and is now mine.
QgHbwrX.jpg

Picture of him holding it, brand new, on the family farm back in 1954...
k1rnsIL.jpg
Before he passed, he taught me with this rifle, it was the first non-.22 rifle I'd ever fired. Its in OK shape, has some bluing loss and a bit of surface pitting. I'm not sure if / how it should be refinished.. Its never going to be a beauty queen or worth much to anyone but me and my father.

Its a sweet shooter, action is smooth as all getout (they don't get much more broken in) and it'll get taken out every now and again on nice days. If deer hunting with rifles is ever legalized in Ohio again I might take it out for legacy's sake, but otherwise its a family heirloom that put food on the table for my dad when he was growing up, it will enjoy its dignified retirement.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
I would not refinish it. It lake all great ladies earned her lines and grey hairs.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Beautiful!! That gun is worth a lot to you. Memories are priceless.

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Very nice rifle. I agree with Joel. No need to refinish it. Clean it and oil it good. Get any surface rust off the gun then keep it cleaned and oiled and it should serve you well. In the first picture the gun is cocked so be careful.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Karock. That's a wonderful artifact you've inherited and I'm sure you'll find many here who will appreciate that fine rifle for the priceless family heirloom that it is. We have a thread dedicated to the stories of these heirlooms here...http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/guns-our-fathers/44249-guns-our-fathers.html and yours would be a welcome addition if you are so inspired.

I wouldn't give refinishing a second thought...the wear and battle scars that rifle displays were earned honestly, put there by your grandfather's own hands, and each and every one tells a story. Refinishing it would be akin to wiping the slate clean and eliminating all that family history. Enjoy it just as it is, for the close connection to your grandfather it so ably embodies.

Roe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice rifle. I agree with Joel. No need to refinish it. Clean it and oil it good. Get any surface rust off the gun then keep it cleaned and oiled and it should serve you well. In the first picture the gun is cocked so be careful.
I know. I saw that after the pic was posted. It is not stored that way, no worries.

As far as getting the surface rust taken care of.. .what is the best way without destroying the bluing? Its lightly pitted in several places, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've gone over the whole thing with Rig for storage, should I do anything else?

Thanks folks.

·
Administrator
28,320 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

Thanks for sharing your story and your fine Marlin. It's a shame you can't take it hunting and further the family heritage of providing for the family. I have my grandfathers old 1894 Winchester built in 1898. Mind you the barrel was shot out when he handed it down to my father who had it bored to 32 Special. Yet, the old Winnie has a lot of life in her and I or my daughter still hunt with it occasionally.

Here is my daughter shooting it at the range recently. She will inherit it soon enough as my eyes are getting a tad tired for peeps. Not to mention... I can't seem to keep her paws off the rifle anyway. :flute:

Jack

338MX Range Report 004_E20%.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
A light scrubbing with 0000 steel wool saturated with a good gun oil (I prefer Kroil for this purpose) will remove most surface rust without additional damage to the bluing. If you have an especially large freckle of rust, or one especially stubborn, allow that spot to soak a bit with the Kroil then use the edge of a true copper penny to gently scrape away the rust.

Roe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Also: "Refinish / restore" should probably say something more like "Have the metal professionally re-protected / reblued / preserved." I have exactly ZERO interest in having the wood touched.
It actually means a lot to me that my G'pa and I were both right handed / left eye dominant, only ones in the family, so the wear marks in the wood's finish perfectly coincide with how we both hold the rifle, the nicks in the stock from his wedding ring pretty much perfectly line up with where mine hit..
That kind of stuff cannot be bought or sold for any price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

Thanks for sharing your story and your fine Marlin. It's a shame you can't take it hunting and further the family heritage of providing for the family. I have my grandfathers old 1894 Winchester built in 1898. Mind you the barrel was shot out when he handed it down to my father who had it bored to 32 Special. Yet, the old Winnie has a lot of life in her and I or my daughter still hunt with it occasionally.

Here is my daughter shooting it at the range recently. She will inherit it soon enough as my eyes are getting a tad tired for peeps. Not to mention... I can't seem to keep her paws off the rifle anyway. :flute:

Jack

View attachment 102057
Someday I will. It'll be taken care of.

And would you want to (keep her mitts off of it)? Thats a great pic!

·
Administrator
28,320 Posts
No, it is essentially hers now but she doesn't know it quite yet. I plan on making it official real soon and more than likely will post a thread dedicated to the event. I mean, how many times does one get to witness a forth generation enjoy a family heirloom? And it is a real shooter too. It certainly does my heart good to witness her strong enthusiasm while shooting it and tell it's story to the crowd it draws at the range. :biggrin:

For rust removal, +1 to Roe (Barenjager). Another method that has worked well for me is this little product: Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

Works like a charm.

I hope to see you post a range report with pictures someday... soon.

Jack

Reactions: oleroy and Ret_Eng

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Great history, great rifle, great caliber. Welcome to the Forum Karock!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great Story & Great Pictures!! Thanks and welcome to the forum. Oil that gun up and get back out in the woods with it this fall. Your Grampa is smiling, I would bet...

·
Administrator
28,320 Posts
That is totally awesome! How many generations will this rifle see?
If you're referring to me there is no telling but I highly suspect several more the way we take care of firearms. I've taught my daughter well but I must say, she has a tremendous respect for this rifles heritage being her great grandfathers. She loves family and loves speaking to the range crowd that gathers asking questions when we pull it out. I used to take the lead but now just step back and listen to her tell the story. Of course, the guys hang on her every word too. HA!

Jack

Reactions: oleroy and Ret_Eng

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Beautiful rifle, treasure the memories and enjoy it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is totally awesome! How many generations will this rifle see?
Hopefully many more. I will never sell it, if the worst were to happen it'll go to my brother. If I'm lucky enough to grow my family (plans in the works but not counting chickens before hatching) it will go to my children.

Thank you for the cleanup help. I'll do a bit more research (I do NOT want to damage this) and post up after. I'll get out to the range and take some pics soon.

·
Super Moderator
25,174 Posts
+1 to what Barenjager has posted concerning the rust removal. If you are a little nervous about using that 0000 fine steel wool--try the copper choreboy pads. Those pads are less abraisive but will work getting that surface rust off using kroil that Barejagger spoke off. The copper pads will not damage the metal bluing on your Grandfather's rifle. That copper penny will work too on those subborn rust spots. The SC and the A are my favorite Marlin models--I bought a 336A 32 WSP from '49 last year and a '52 336SC 30-30 this year. You can't beat those 1950's Marlins!

Reactions: oleroy and JACKTW
1 - 20 of 24 Posts