Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited my Late Uncle's ammo - his guns were given to another relative and I got the ammo, for some reason. In any event, I am going to sell it, but I'm not sure of the best avenue to take. There's not a great lot, but there is a variety of makers and calibers. Most of it appears to have been purchased over 30 years ago. I have: Remington 303 British; Federal 6.5 x 55 Swedish; Remington 25 Automatic; Hansen Cartridge Co. 7.62 x 54R; Sellier & Bellot .303 British; 6.5 mm sk ptr m/94 - Prickskytte (maybe Russian); and a few others. I see what most of these retail for new, but I was wondering if they had a collectors value which may be more. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Welcome, and no, no real collectors value that you may envision in your mind. Sounds like unc was a military collector as all you list with an exception or two is considered "surplus" chambers, generally with train loads of actual surplus ammo that is typically pretty common, even in the obama years we experience now.

I suggest no one is going to buy it sight unseen, I figure a yard sale, or gun show so guys can examine it close up. Unless you have hundreds of rounds, dont plan on taking any extended trips on the selling price,, is my thinking.:tee:

Now, if you had a pickup load of 22 LR or 22 Mag... or maybe several 8 lb kegs of small gun powders....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Sell it to the relative that got all the guns! Strange the guns all went to one person and the ammo for the guns went to another:questionmark:
X2! If the guns and ammo go together/match? Then that is strange!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Some of the brands are newer makers, so even 30 years seems hardly likely for stuff like Sellier and Belloit. I would guess this is newer than you might think, but even 30 year old ammo isn't valuable from a collector point of view. If the ammo could get to those who got the guns for a cheap price, it would probably be the best outcome for this ammo and you.

Reactions: RGR

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sellier & Bellot is the name of a firearms ammunition manufacturer situated in Vlašim, Czech Republic. It is a subsidiary of the Brazilian company CBC. Sellier & Bellot was founded in August 5, 1825
I have been using their ammo for at least 40 years.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Depending on the environment it was stored in, IE subjected to wide temp swings and moisture/high humidity ...it is possible that a lot of it is no gonna fire.

This from recent experience of my dad selling off some of his old 30+ year old ammo.

the 303 ammo *might be* cordite powder. If it is it may fire OK

I'd suggest you test fire 2 out of each box.............

·
Registered
7 Posts
At least give him the 6.5; that can be a bit hard to find. The .25acp is ridiculously spendy these days also.
All those but no Ithaca 49's or 72's? Not even a Win. 94. j/k VERY nice collection!!!

All the .25 ACP I have found has been priced the same as it always has. I guess not many people here shoot it. I can even walk into the hardware store 30 miles away and pick some up. I have 4 boxes and just a tiny Raven P-25 I inherited. Never shot it. I made a cool little aluminum carry case for it. Still has the original box and papers, although I don't know how old it is.

Sorry I was meaning to quote the guy bellow you with the lever action guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts