Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inherited a bunch of Marlins, looking for an education **MORE PICS ADDED**

Hi everyone. A beloved family member and Marlin fan recently passed away, leaving his collection to his kids. I'm hoping to learn more about the guns I have so I can appreciate them more. I wish I paid more attention during his stories about how he came into this or that gun, or which were his favorites. I don't plan to sell anything at this point in time, though storing them all safely and conveniently is proving to be tough (he also had a ton of non-Marlins). I know very little about Marlins, so any information is appreciated. These are pics of all of the ones in my possession, though there are more stored elsewhere that I can hopefully take similar pics of soon.

Thank you. You have an incredible community here!

Baseball bat
Tool Antique tool Metalworking hand tool Chisel Japanese chisel
Wood Shotgun Air gun Cutting tool Antique tool
Gun Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Wood Air gun Arsenal

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Man there is about 10 of those I'm drooling over! Very nice collection! He lived a good life with those babies. Something to be proud of

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Welcome to M/O - you've come to the right place. Hope you get to enjoy some of those Marlins in the great outdoors!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man there is about 10 of those I'm drooling over! Very nice collection! He lived a good life with those babies. Something to be proud of
He surely did. He was definitely one to use his guns. I'm guessing the unfired ones are just ones he hadn't got around to hunting with.

I guess the main thing I'm curious about is which ones I should take extra care of due to rarity/value.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The ones that have special value will be the ones that serial numbers don't start with MR. The 32 specials, 45 colt, 1894m, and the xlr's for starters. I'll take a look at the others as well. Those are without looking again.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The 375, 30 carbine, any of the hyphens and probably the 336a in 35 rem. Maybe more that others have knowledge on. More qualified than I will be on tomorrow to help you out. Best site in the world!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your family member had a great collection. This is the RIGHT place to find out more information about any of them. Welcome and let us know how we can help you.

Regards,

B

Reactions: old-machinist

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Hello & Welcome from a small bluff in W Tn. Very nice collection, Congrats to you man.:congrats:

·
Registered
395 Posts
WOW I'm drooling over that collection!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Wow, tbickle (Travis?), that is one heck of a foot in the door.

Sorry for your loss/congrats on your good fortune.

For value, an unfired rifle is often worth more to a collector. Around here, it usually means it wasn't broken in yet :biggrin:.
Text Font

These charts are done by Schtoolee...

Brocky

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
That is one amazing collection and what an honor to have such treasures passed on to you. As for care--get a very large gun safe (or two), tenderly wipe down after each inspection session, and cherish forever.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My condolences on your loss of someone special.

That is a very special collection, thanks for sharing with us.

Anything with a JM marked on the barrel just in front of the receiver was made by Marlin. If it is marked REP or has a MR in serial number it was made by Remington.

The Cowboy in 32 H&R is rare, and the 1894M in 22 mag, an 1895 Cowboys in 38-55 & 45-70 are getting to be hard to find.

The 39 Century was a limited run and the 2 1894CL's in 25-20 and 32-20 are also rare finds...

...heck just being JM's makes most of them rare finds

I hope they get shot and enjoyed

take care

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.