Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rail base for my Marlin 1895 Classic 45-70 for a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 that will give me as close to a 0 MOA as possible. All ideas considered. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Near impossible to get zero MOA w/scope...Williams "Ace in the hole" base is a good one w/ integrated rear sight.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Assuming you mean 0 MOA to mean all one hole groups the same diameter as your bullet it just ain't going to happen! There isn't a gun made or any of us "experts" pulling the trigger who can make that happen. Your best bet is to buy a solid steel Leupold one piece base and steel rings to fit, then line up your rings with the muzzle using a 1" (or 30 mm) hardwood dowel rod mounted in the rings. Midway also sells a ring lapping kit that might help a little. The rest is up to you but if you get 1.5 MOA or better results with your Marlin consider yourself pretty darn lucky.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Most rail-type sight bases have a 20 MOA offset to compensate for parallax and bullet drop without straining the adjustment range of the scope. It is probably not necessary for normal hunting ranges with a 45-70 (< 150 yards).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I could have worded my question a little better, but the operative words are "as near to a 0 MOA as possible", I have no illusions of a perfect 0 MOA. The 1.5 would make me deliriously happy. I learned in the tropics of SE Asia that a perfect shot pattern or a 1.5 MOA was not that important, that is why they issued 30 round magazines.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I guess I could have worded my question a little better, but the operative words are "as near to a 0 MOA as possible", I have no illusions of a perfect 0 MOA. The 1.5 would make me deliriously happy. I learned in the tropics of SE Asia that a perfect shot pattern or a 1.5 MOA was not that important, that is why they issued 30 round magazines.
My Guide Gun is a 1.5 MOA gun most of the time with my 405 grain Laser Cast bullets at 1500-1600 fps With my Nikon 11/2 x4 scope and low rings. Shoots the 350 grn well also ,I use H4198 powder -win cases, win lrp, LFC die with a firm crimp ,OAL of 2.51..Welcome home brother!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts