Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on these? I read that they were made in 1993 but don't know how many were made. Any other info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cabelas has one LNIB for 1600$. Other than that I had never heard of one.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Not much difference other than some engraving on the Right side of the receiver and stock. Rare in that they were only produced one year.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The celebration of the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of the opening of the Cherokee Strip for settlement was observed April 17 1993. The Cherokee Strip was an area in the panhandle of Oklahoma that was opened for settlement in 1893. It was one of if not the last area opened for Homesteading. The Cherokee Strip 39AS was one of the commemorative items available at the time. They were a cooperative effort between Marlin and Wal-Mart. They were sold exclusively by Wal-Mart and I believe each store in the northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas received 5 guns. I bought mine from a friend from Ponca Oklahoma. He dealt in them at the time. Mine has a serial number OK 00069X. The box says semi fancy wood. The stock is laser engraved with a Cowboy on a horse and a stagecoach. It is engraved 1893 Centennial 1993 Oklahoma Cherokee Strip on the receiver in gold letters. These were sought after by gun enthusiasts in the area as a local event commemorative. I do not know how many were made but even if there were 50 Wal-Mart’s in the area with 5 guns that wound be 500. My serial number would indicate about 700 at least. I do not know how much they sold for at Wal-Mart but mine was about the same as a normal 39AS at the time I purchased it from my friend in 94 or 95. It is NIB.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
5 guns in 50 WalMarts = 500 guns---------------------Hmmmmmmmmmm

Steve

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm originaly from Oklahoma and I saw one of these a couple years back at the big Tulsa gun show. As cool as it was I just didn't have the extra cash to invest in such a cool Oklahoma history piece. As an Okie I'll always be looking for one though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The celebration of the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of the opening of the Cherokee Strip for settlement was observed April 17 1993. The Cherokee Strip was an area in the panhandle of Oklahoma that was opened for settlement in 1893. It was one of if not the last area opened for Homesteading. The Cherokee Strip 39AS was one of the commemorative items available at the time. They were a cooperative effort between Marlin and Wal-Mart. They were sold exclusively by Wal-Mart and I believe each store in the northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas received 5 guns. I bought mine from a friend from Ponca Oklahoma. He dealt in them at the time. Mine has a serial number OK 00069X. The box says semi fancy wood. The stock is laser engraved with a Cowboy on a horse and a stagecoach. It is engraved 1893 Centennial 1993 Oklahoma Cherokee Strip on the receiver in gold letters. These were sought after by gun enthusiasts in the area as a local event commemorative. I do not know how many were made but even if there were 50 Wal-Mart’s in the area with 5 guns that wound be 500. My serial number would indicate about 700 at least. I do not know how much they sold for at Wal-Mart but mine was about the same as a normal 39AS at the time I purchased it from my friend in 94 or 95. It is NIB.
stubbfarmer-Thanks for your answer. If anyone has one to sell let me know. I would be interested in having one for my 39 collection. Thanks TJ

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but does anyone know what one would be worth, unfired, no box, hang tags still on rifle?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,871 Posts
Marlin+, if you have one for sale, please list it in the for sale section of our forum, you have the required 25 posts to sell. Be sure to read the for sale rules to ensure your post follows the guidelines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts