Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about getting away from my Lg. Bore Levers for a while and back to 22LR plinking. Besides my 39A, I’m thinking of a very accurate (scoped) bolt action w/detach, mag, for range & squirrel’n.

The Marlin 980V looks interesting. Anybody tried one ?

What's your favorite squirrel 22LR ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
howie;
Im kinda like you....Ive done alot of shooting over the last decade, mostly bigger stuff. Now Im kinda getting back to shooting rimfire again. I just re-finished the stock on my 780 and picked up 925MN a few months ago. These firearms are just plain fun to shoot....and alot easier on the wallet to boot. I've been kinda kicking around between the 980V and the 917V myself. I'd really love to hear from members who shoot either of these. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 917v. The trigger is about 8lbs. Quite accurate when I can get used to the trigger. Not sure whether I'll change the spring and polish or bite the bullet and buy the RB for c. $60. I thought the triggers were supposed to be better. I have a desert camo factory stock for it. I really like the looks.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m wondering about that synthetic stock. All my rifles are real wood, I checked out a Savage at the store, the other day. The plastic stock felt weird, but I’m hoping that the Marlin’s “fiberglass filled” feels a little less like a toy. Maybe somebody makes those black/grey laminated stocks for it. I like the idea of the black stock & barrel & low noise 22 cal., incase I want to do some night-time varmint plink’n (in the woods, ofcourse 8) ).
Hmmm, night-scope would be neat :D !

As for a scope, I have a Simmons 4X32 Blazer, but the lines are a little too thick for small critters. May get a Bushnell. I’d like to get a really good one for 100yd (more or less) 22LR varminting.
Any suggestions ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts