Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me an old rifle he said it might be worth something as you could only get this if you purchased some stocks a long time ago. just looking for a little background anything helps!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll upload pictures after i pick it up tomorrow. From what I could find online its a Marlin 47 .22 pump action rifle. Its got 4 numbers on the bottom beneath the trigger. it was really tough finding any info online on it other than forums. I know my grandpa got it for buying shares in Marlin as a gift. Its in pretty good shape. Really just wondering if it's worth holding onto or not. Thanks for the response!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My great grand father owned one. Still in the family and never leaving it. Made in 1930 for only one year. You had to buy $400 of stock to get the rifle for free. The rifle was payment for a serpentine brick wall my family built for a wealthy family's plantation. Identical to Model 20. Holds 18 rds of short, LR longs. Has a unique case colored receiver. Great for barking squirrels. Hitting the bark under the squirrel rather than the squirrel to not damage the meat. Our rifle fed the family more than once during the depression harvesting bunnies and squirrels. 22's were $.25 a box and every round was accounted for.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
And don't "Dry fire" it either, meaning pulling the trigger while the chamber is empty. Most bolt guns will let you release the hammer spring tension by having the bolt in the full open position, then holding the trigger down while slowly riding the bolt closed, then release the trigger.

Sure would love to see some pictures of Grandpa's gun! Welcome to MO from KY!

Reactions: turbobug
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.