Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a 1936 Marlin, #81xx first variation (I believe) which has a sling attached and have wondered if this is correct. I would think not and also wonder if the front metal part holding the forearm is available to replace the part on the rifle that has been drilled for the sling. A value range would be appreciated. David

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thats a pretty clean 1936 SC.The stock has been refinished.Good case coloring still on the receiver.The blueing could or could not be original.Really a nice looking piece.I am thinking $800.00 would be a good place to start for selling.There is a forum on the top of the 336 forum for 1936s and 36s.I would leave the swivels on it,but they are not original .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was in the 1936 forum. I got confused. Thanks for responding. Can I buy a replacement for the front metal cap that has the sling hole drilled?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Dang, and a 32 Special too!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
dzim, your gun has not been refinished in any way. I'd leave exactly the way it is. It's possible that a newer foream cap will fit, but it will not match that old Marlin blueing...
If it has not been refinished then why is there oil in the sanded down scrapes and dents in the wood???Why is the stock almost even with the metal when it should be proud??This is how the wood should be to the metal!!!!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=440465027

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
If you want that cap without the sling swivel in it, should be easy enough to remove and have it welded. Just make sure the welder does not use any rod with nickel or chrome in it. Tig welded with a coat hanger wire should do the job.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sounds almost like you are unhappy with that rifle. Trust me, it's an awfully nice 1936 Marlin! Is it in mint condition? No, but it's in darned good condition. As for the wood being flush, it's been my experience that on the older Marlins that is pretty normal. Some do stand proud a little but I chalk that up to varying shrinkage rates for different pieces of wood. Very often the wood is not proud of the metal on these guns. As for the oil you say is on the stock, maybe a previous owner freshened up the wood finish with some linseed oil to improve the looks before he sold it but that's no big deal in my mind. Zooming in on the metal in your pics I also think the metal has not been redone. The lettering is too crisp, there are blemishes here and there and the colors look too right.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Sounds almost like you are unhappy with that rifle. Trust me, it's an awfully nice 1936 Marlin! Is it in mint condition? No, but it's in darned good condition. As for the wood being flush, it's been my experience that on the older Marlins that is pretty normal. Some do stand proud a little but I chalk that up to varying shrinkage rates for different pieces of wood. Very often the wood is not proud of the metal on these guns. As for the oil you say is on the stock, maybe a previous owner freshened up the wood finish with some linseed oil to improve the looks before he sold it but that's no big deal in my mind. Zooming in on the metal in your pics I also think the metal has not been redone. The lettering is too crisp, there are blemishes here and there and the colors look too right.
Well ,refinished or not I would be super stoked to have that rifle specially in 32 special!!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
My bad, I got posts by olbiker and the OP mixed up.i thought it was the OP who thought it had been redone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for everyones help and comments. I am going to try and replace the forearm cap and have the stock repaired where the sling is attached . David

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
so what if there are sling swivels added, it is part of the history of that gun. you go messing with it and there goes the history and you might screw something up! i know from experience.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Theres not much info on end cap sling swivels so I wouldn't write that off as not original.

I have an older model 94 with an end cap swivel which I believe to be original.

I wouldn't change a thing on that rifle.

Note the pistol grip lever....now that's a pistol grip unlike the new version Marlin put out which is purely ornamental in comparison to the straight lever.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have to agree with everyone. That is one, fine example of a Model 1936. Most of what you see in this particular model are beat up examples. I also agree that I would not change a thing about it. I would leave the sling swivels the way they are now. I don't think there is a repair that can be done to the butt stock that will not be noticeable. I'd love to have it in my collection :)

-Bob George

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Very nice rifle, and I wouldn't touch a thing on her either if mine. One of these days I'm going to get me a .32 special... one like yours would be sweet.
Enjoy...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I own a Model 36 also, you say it's a 1st generation so I'm thinking the front sight is not original....mine is dovetailed & yours is ramped, every Model 36 I've seen has had the dovetailed front sight original from the factory (but with Marlins habit of changes who knows ?). It's very possible I'm wrong, if any disagree please post back, I like new information & learning too :biggrin:. Nice rifle you have, you'll love it better than a 336 IMO. Edit: after re-reading I see yours is a SC, mine is a RC so I'm thinking that may make a difference in front sights ??.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I own a Model 36 also, you say it's a 1st generation so I'm thinking the front sight is not original....mine is dovetailed & yours is ramped, every Model 36 I've seen has had the dovetailed front sight original from the factory (but with Marlins habit of changes who knows ?). It's very possible I'm wrong, if any disagree please post back, I like new information & learning too :biggrin:. Nice rifle you have, you'll love it better than a 336 IMO.
I have a early 1936 32 spec and it has a dovetailed front sight.Another telltail sign is to remove the buttstock and look at the mainspring.Early had flat springs.
Edit-This is a SC and ramp front is correct.The RC is dovetailed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts