Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old marlin 1893 in the 32spec smokeless, trying to clean up the bore. Strong rifling but a little dark,ser# 1789xx, Hex barrel.Looks like a solid rifle in need of some TLC. Not much left of the casecolor.brown/blue patina. Decent wood with a front sight base marked REX and a marbles blade. rear sight OK, Tapped on top rear for a williams sight.
I think I paid to much but in my area we don't see them often in decent shape.
When was this one made?
Are they worth anywhere near the 500.00 I paid?
Are front sights available?
Thanks for any and all comments.
Fiddlestick

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Your 1893 is most likely a 1899 vintage. The front sights can be purchesed from either Ballard Rifle Co. in Cody, Wy. for a original type, or you may choose to put on an optional Marbles. Marbles and Lyman were both offered by Marlin as options on early guns.
Though your gun seems to be from 1899, it may actually have been assembled much later. If it was assembled after 1903, then the holes in the top rear of the receiver would have a 1 1/8" spacing, and would be for a Hepburn combination receiver sight, which is factory standard for later guns. The .32 spl round is usually found on later guns, so this may be a possibility.
As for the price, it's tough to find a model 1893 anymore at $500. So I would say you're close, and that's about all I could say, without seeing the gun.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As MM93 pointed out, your serial number should put the gun in the 1899 frame, although.........serial numbers that SHOULD be from a certain year have been documented on guns made long after. The 32 Special cartridge was introduced by Winchester in 1902.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and take some pictures in the next day or so. If I can figure out how to post I will do so. The bore is starting to clean up, lots of gunk coming out.
The barrel still has most of the bluing. You have to look hard to find any case color on the receiver but it is there. The mag tube has turned a brown color. I have not found any rust or pitting on any exposed areas.
I think the rifle is in shoot able condition, after a good cleaning. Fairly nice wood.
Thanks for the info
Fiddlestick

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If that bore doesn't come out shiny, don't worry to much. Many old guns have dark bores, and still shoot great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts