Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in gas and natural gas handling and processing facilities all over the west and really enjoy it for the equipment and technology involved. This facility is a CO2 compression station outside of Coffeyville Kansas. Unlike the others I've worked in, this one has all stainless steel piping and vessels due to the corrosive nature of H2S gas.

4 Compressors and 2 blowers

Compressors are 6 cylinder 4 stage and 4,000 Hp, 4,160 Volts AC electric motor driven

Compressor discharge is 1,250 psi

The blowers take the CO2 from a very low pressure, 2 to 5 psi, to 10 psi to give the compressors suction capability

DC battery back up for emergency power. 60 batteries connected in series

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's pretty wild!! Hard to fathom the work involved to build that...let alone think it up,!! Thanks for sharing it...

Reactions: HDStreet

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention in my original post. The CO2 is sent via pipeline down into Oklahoma to the old oilfields that their production rates have dropped to around 25 barrels per day. These fields are water flooded down in the formations, then the CO2 is injected at high pressure (2,500 to 3,000 psi). This forces the oil and water into the pump zones and boosts recovery rates as high as 125 barrels per day. The oil, water and CO2 are then separated. The oil is pumped to distribution terminals and the water and CO2 are recycled.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I guess you take a canary in a cage with you and when he stops chirping you know the H2S is present. I guess there are a lot of H2S alarms present especially in a enclosed area.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you take a canary in a cage with you and when he stops chirping you know the H2S is present. I guess there are a lot of H2S alarms present especially in a enclosed area.
You're so right, Horseshoe. There are various gas detectors located in the building and around the machines. It's the second most deadliest gas known to man. We have small portable detectors that clip on our collars or hard hats that will sound off and vibrate when a minimal amount of the gas is detected.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks for posting Street, it reminds me a lot of the purified acid plant where I use to work. We had to wear h2s monitors as well, when those things go off you get to moving.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Pretty cool Gare! A well designed and well maintained facility is like a piece of art!

Where I worked before I retired we had 96,000 sq ft of raised floor entirely populated with servers, tape silos, storage disc and mainframes. We processed for DoD and all four branches of the military. Downtime was verboten.

The back of the building was dedicated to facilities where we had an entire room dedicated to banks of batteries and everything that supported the UPS (uninterrupted Power Supply).

Through the next door were the chillers that had piping and turbines and looked a bit like your first picture.

Diesel engines outside took over after the system detected and reacted to commercial power outage.

But on another note, You see the intercell connectors on that bank of batteries in your last picture that connect each to the other. Those lead connectors make good bullets.
I got a source on some of those and right before leaving for Idaho last time -- dropped some off with Green Lizzard to give a thumbs up or down.
He shared some of his testing on the forum. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/boolit-casting/145252-sgtdogs-mystery-alloy.html
Hope to get more – kinda like finding one pound wheel weights.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That plant looks "Tour Ready" for sure.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks for the look HD. So many folks just can't fathom all the Infrastructure behind everyday items like natural gas.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's pretty wild!! Hard to fathom the work involved to build that...let alone think it up,!! Thanks for sharing it...
I'm proud to say the company I work for had the full engineering package on this facility. I was there with another engineer to verify the controls and instruments were wired according to the drawings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts