Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have a pet peeve, my marlin 336 BL, fits (i think its 5 cartridges but dont quote me) in the magazine tube comfortably, if you try to force one more in, it gets like 95% and then runs out of room.I was wondering if there are any known magazine springs that collapse to a shorter length but still have the power/length to feed the last one out of the magazine tube, or if there was any tricks to possibly shortening (i didnt even look yet :-[ ) the total length of the follower. Basically some how to safely add that final shell that so desperately wants to hang out with his other friends ;D and the reason? well just because!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Why on god's green earth would you ever need more than 5 in the tube and one in the chamber? I never put more than 5 rounds total in any of my centerfire rifles. And I have never needed more than 3 to finish off a deer I was shooting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Excellent question banditt. The reason you probably want six rounds in the magazine tube is because Marlin said it would hold six. I have a 336BL, love it, but have the exact same issue. I think I once managed to get six Remington 30-30 rounds in there, but it was a really tight fit. I am OK with five, but it does bother me that Marlin lists it as holding six when it clearly does not.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Here's another question. How would a gun with an 18" barrel and correspondingly shorter mag tube hold the same number of rounds as a gun with a 20" barrel and full length mag tube? You are giving up over 1" of mag tube. It stands to reason that the BL with an 18" barrel is a six shot gun vs the 336C with a 20" barrel that is a 7 shot gun.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Trimming the follower won't help, as the spring compresses into the follower. I recall the very first BL's held 6 rounds.....Although, I may be thinking of the '95BL.....I was the person that released those rifle configs to production..........Things were pretty hectic in North Haven at that time so memory is not 100%

Its possible the mag springs are now longer, or at least your rifles may have longer springs.........I don't know what remington is doing to reduce the parts count, and make higher profits.

If you only need 1/4 of an inch to load that 6th round, I'd say you can cut a few inches off the mag tube spring, and then evenly re-stretch the spring to the original length. that should allow the 6th round to load.

Divide the need extra length you need, by .029, which is the dia of the wire of the spring............the answer would be the number of coils you need to cut. once cut, re-stretch the spring evenly to the original length.

Its posible there have been some internal changes such as spring length or wire size that I'm not now aware of....................

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
It still doesn't make sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
Hal, I carry a boat load of ammo by your standards. The 336W holds a total of 7 and I have a butt cuff holding 10 more,...Why??? 'cause I want to have enough ammo on hand for what I don't expect, not for what I expect when hunting the whitetail. Mr fixit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive the the 336BL and I was peeved that I could only fit 5 in the mag and not 6 as marlin claimed.

Easily fixed, the 6th round was about 1cm short while trying to load into mag, so I trimmed about 2 inches off the magazine spring. It took about 2 minutes in total and now I have my 6 round mag. There is still plenty of tension in the spring to load all the rounds effectively.

I suggest you take a bit off the spring at a time though until you get that 6 round to fit.
I hunt mobs of pigs and 6+1 is sometimes not enough. Sometimes I wish it was a 20 round mag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was playing around with my 336BL today to see what angles the rifle could be turned and still feed and eject properly. Using Hornady LE 160gr loads, I found I could cant the rifle to 90* right (ejection port down) and about 175* left (almost upside down) and have each round feed and eject cleanly. While not germane to this discussion, I did also find I could stuff a total of seven rounds in; 1 in the chamber with six in the tube. That said, the last round was VERY tight. It would not be practical in the field. Interstingly, Marlin has all of their 336's other than the XLR and youth model listed as a 6-round mag. Anyway, I would have to agree with Tomray on trimming the spring if you want to cleanly add a sixth.

·
Registered
155 Posts
rattes said:
Sometimes I wish it was a 20 round mag.
I agree! The old Henry add used to say, "Load on Sunday, shoot all week long." Clearly capacity is never enough. It's like asking why you buy more Marlins when you have one already. We buy a car that can go over 100mph? Because you can!

·
Registered
198 Posts
okc-jimbo said:
....It's like asking why you buy more Marlins when you have one already. We buy a car that can go over 100mph? Because you can!
OUCH! And that is why I try not to think about such things.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
mr fixit said:
Hal, I carry a boat load of ammo by your standards. The 336W holds a total of 7 and I have a butt cuff holding 10 more,...Why??? 'cause I want to have enough ammo on hand for what I don't expect, not for what I expect when hunting the whitetail. Mr fixit
Did I say that this whole issue doesn't make any sense to me?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'am with you Halwg other than my 1894c I don't know if I've ever fully loaded any of the other ones. Three or four in the tube work the lever good to go

·
Registered
155 Posts
Decided to tinker with my 336BL magazine tonight. I pulled the spring and trimed on one section - by section I mean the amount of length required to make one rotation within the spring's coil. After cutting the piece off, I contoured the end inwards and adjusted to provide a flat resting surface for the end of the spring. I had to repeat this task one more time to fully seat six rounds in the magazine. Once things were back together, I cycled several dozen rounds without a hiccup.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
okc-jimbo said:
Decided to tinker with my 336BL magazine tonight. I pulled the spring and trimed on one section - by section I mean the amount of length required to make one rotation within the spring's coil. After cutting the piece off, I contoured the end inwards and adjusted to provide a flat resting surface for the end of the spring. I had to repeat this task one more time to fully seat six rounds in the magazine. Once things were back together, I cycled several dozen rounds without a hiccup.
So now you're happy?....... ;D ;D..............Easy, huh?

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Halwg said:
It still doesn't make sense to me.
The normal current 336C only holds 6 in the tube because they moved the band behind the sight. You lose one round that way because the follower cant get past the screw. The old 20" carbines held 7 in the tube because the band was ahead of the sight closer to the muzzle. In other words todays 336C really has an 18" tube effectively. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay so here is an interesting up date....So i head to the basement ;D and get to working on the 336BL to figure out this magazine capacity problem. First thing i do, is grab 6 rounds and see how much more room i need for the 6th one to fall in, then i was going to add an additional 1/8" just so you can push the rounds forward a little past the trap door you know? So i load 5, go to load the 6th....and it goes right in. This is the first time this happened, where i fit all 6! I think to myself hmmm let me measure the cartridges overall length! They are Remington corelokt 170 grain soft points. Their overall length varied from 2.458->2.505!!!!! So figure worst case the total variation of the length of 6 of them stacked up would be 14.748"->15.030 If my math is correct ;) Thats a possible difference of over 1/4"! This was measured from 2 boxes. I took 6 of the shortest rounds, all loaded no problem, i took 6 of the longest rounds and bam, couldn't get the 6th to load. While we are on the subject what is the overall length tolerance for this cartridge!? Also i'm assuming this can cause accuracy to go to hell!?? So i wound up cutting off enough spring, which was something like 8 or 9 turns, to allow me to gain a 1/4" of compression. I have no tested this, though the math shows it should work no problem, since its still apart b/c i plan on doing some "Accurizing of the factory rifle"-bought the book, just starting to dig in...seems like its going to be fun..

·
Registered
978 Posts
2.450" to 2.550" is the official 30-30 win specs. I load mine shorter to an oal of 2.432" with the Ranch Dog 165 grain boolit. At this length the boolit is engraved by the rifling and the lever closes without any extra effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts