Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I picked up a box of .41 mag ammo from a small new ammo manufacturer based in Wisconsin. It has a hard cast 210 gr. Flat nose bullet that is pushed to 1100 FPS out of a 6.5 inch barreled revolver. The owner of the company has never tested this calibers FPS out of a rifle.
Does anyone have an idea about what I could expect from this cartridge being fired from a twenty inch rifle?
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
A chronograph would be a good idea for your next birthday present. It'll give you a lot of information, particularly if you reload. And if you're going to be shooting your 41 Mag more than just occasionally, you need to be reloading.

Chances are you can do even better than 1500-1600 fps with hand loads.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
My 1894 FG, with a 210 grain jsp over 20 grains of 2400, will clock an honest 1860 fps. Reloading is the way to get the most accuracy and power out of the .41 magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have this rifle for sale in the MO classifieds. I have yet to even shoot it. Maybe after I put a dozen down range, I will fall for this rifle and keep it.
Andrew

Reactions: JohnD13

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
This is a little bit apples and oranges, but as I review my data I may find something closer to your scenario.

225gr cast Marlin 1894S 41mag @ 1700fps same load in Ruger 5 1/2" @ 1200fps Winchester296 Powder
216gr cast @ 1115fps @ 933fps Alliant Green Dot Powder
215gr cast @ 1480fps @ 1160fps Surplus WC 820 similar to AA#9

Part of the difference in "velocity spread" is due to variance in powder burn rate.
The rifle will really make the slower powders shine. The faster powders keep the shorter barrels closer in velocity.

As far as your ammo and what the dealer told you, you really won't know unless you shoot it over a Chronograph with your rifle. I about guarantee that some 6 1/2" revolvers may hit that velocity and some may not. "just depends", so many variables between revolvers effect the resulting velocity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts