Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone,

Several shooters have ask me how that changing your grip on the rifle from shot to shot could effect point of aim. Today I decided to try it with a Marlin 44-40 Cowboy while doing some load development.
I shot from a bench using benchrest supports and changed my grip, where the support was located under the barrel/fore end, and amount of cheek and hand pressure.

The bottom group is the result of that inconsistent holding of the rifle. The two groups near the center was in what benchrest shooters call "free recoil" meaning the only part I was touching was the trigger and trigger guard. A slight sight adjustment was made between firing the two three shot groups near the center, no other changes, only the way in which the rifle was held. The last group appears to be only two shots but it IS three. A calm, still morning (unusual for Idaho) at a distance of only 50 yards. Do you think the way you hold your rifle can make a difference? I observed a hunter using a log to rest his BARREL on for support, then he wondered why he missed his deer.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the study. I fully agree with this assessment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts