Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I know that there is an ammo and component shortage - who doesn't. Is it because DHS is buying everything or the fact that every gun toting American is after their share, I just don't know. Up to this point I've stayed relatively calm; after all, I have a decent stockpile of powder, primers, bullets & brass. But knowing that it might be awhile before I can replenish, I've slowed way down on range time and it IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Calm down I tell myself, but frankly I'm now beyond worried. I stop in four stores every week trying to buy stuff I use. The owners/managers have been telling me that it is going to get even worse, that the limited supply we see today is going to dry up completely. I find this hard to believe but I just went to Georgia Arms website (remember they load and sell their own ammo - a manufacturer) and about had a coronary on what their front page said...

View attachment 51833

Can somebody please lend some truth to what is going on. I've read the DHS articles, I've tried to buy online and even pay hazardous material shipping fees but it isn't available to ship. Now I've resorted to sending my BIL's emails with "buy this if you see it" notes & pictures. If I'm over reacting great, if this is real - someone put gun control in affect without signing anything into law! Military, Police & DHS.......

One unhappy camper

1895gunner

·
Super Moderator
19,122 Posts
1895Gunner I been doing inventory this week on mine :ahhhhh:Now I gave a 100 rds of 22LR the other day
to a friend. I was comfortable with what I thought I had... and when I went to my ammo box I only had 1/2 what
I smugly thought I did :(
Now I'm doing ok but the last CCI mini mag I bought was 2005 @ 2.69 a 100. now $7 and I can't find a fix :(
Seen 2 box of stingers 50 rds $12 :hmmmm:

So I done the next best thing. went to 4 stores and got...

100 9MM
100 38 cal
200 40 cal
100 350 FP for the 45/70

Well ain't going to panic over the lack of powders :hahaha: out there :flute:
but coulda used more of some like Varget, H110 and Unique
Mighta picked up some Large pistol primers but I am in good shape yet.

Now as to where them 22's been going well I think them handguns been having a lot of fun :hmmmm:

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Scott, like you, I only know what I've seen at the gunshops around here, what I've heard or read on the net. I don't have a definite answer, but do know that "something" is going on. I'm pretty much stocked up on reloading componets, but I too have curtailed a lot of my range time due to the uncertainties to conserve & make last what I do have. One of the LGS owners is a friend of mine & luckily, if he gets something I need in, he calls me, but as he told me, The distributors are out, or rationing, & it's just plain hard for him to get decent stock back in. Hopefully this maddness will sudside in a few months, but until it does, I'll continue to conserve what I have.

·
Administrator
23,788 Posts
Go on a road trip with a couple of like minded friends, bring cash and cards. Hit the small town sports shops with items in mind you might need. I went up to Franks in Morley, Michigan they had two bricks of primers, one CCI350 large pistol (works well for 30-30 and .35 in mine) one CCI250 large rifle mag primers. I don't need em and do not worry about when I'll replenish my revolving inventory. They have lots of powder, low stock on bullets. They are very low on handguns for sale, around 65% of their normal rifle inventory. They thank Omaggot for this. They told me they have a lot on order and waiting the same as most. Pretty good stock of .22s on hand, as well as others.

That is just one place I frequent, I have not went to my main supplier in a while but would phone ahead if I figured I might. Right now I could shoot 50 rds a day for a year and not worry. That's just .22s not counting a lot of components I have for reloading.

The bottom line, when you find it buy it and plan on replacing it when you can if you shoot it up. I do feel for the masses that depend on the factory loaded ammo. DHS buying up all that ammo, they do practice with full auto weapons and like any kid they like pulling the trigger.

Only conspiracy theory I would speculate, would be the Omaggot Brown Shirts could close down the ammo manufacturers for public sale only police and military.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
swany said:
The bottom line, when you find it buy it and plan on replacing it when you can if you shoot it up. ...
Gospel. 'Nuff said.

As to right now, what is going on? Federal and State legislators start mouthing off about gun control and every time they flap their lips sends waves of people to the store to buy their ARs or Glocks or ammo or whatever "before it's banned". This situation we are in right now is self inflicted pain. Who knows when we will get back on an even keel here but let this be a lesson, once again....:

swany said:
The bottom line, when you find it buy it and plan on replacing it when you can if you shoot it up. ...
Pay this forward. When times aren't so rough and you are at the reloading shop, go ahead and pick up a box or two of CCI 200 Primers or an extra pound of IMR4064 or a 100 round sack of Cast Boolits for your 30-30... Surplus through attrition... Little here, little there...

Reactions: oleroy

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One step closer to history repeating itself. We might get to find out just how good a survival round the .22LR is. I'm ok on components for now, but wish I had 2 more bricks of small pistol primers.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think once the proposed gun bans are voted on things should loosen up a bit. Right now things are dry, there ain't any ammo to be found. I'm not a reloader but save my brass, maybe it will come in handy. I have heard some major ammo manufacturers won't be caught up for 18 months and it could get worse.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In my opinion we've done this to ourselves. Personally I was a person who had a couple of guns and a few boxes of ammo for 40 some odd years and never bought more than a few boxes of ammo a year for hunting. In the past year or 2 I've purchased 3 rifles, 2 handguns and hundreds of rounds of ammo for same. Now I'm reloading and have components enough to produce thousands of rounds more. And I'm always on the lookout for another good deal. This is all because of the fear that I won't be able to buy more in the future, and now its come true. But the government didn't do it, we did it to ourselves. I'm not complaining, I think I'm enjoying this disease, and its due in large part to this site.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Gunner, we are told by folks that claim to know, that a billion rounds is about a week run for the majors ( individually or collectively not stated). simple as that sounds, that would require maximum effort. They are not going to add shifts to satisfy what they think is a temporary problem, as like last time. besides that, they would incur liability for "affordable health care" and unemployment once the crisis is over. They are reluctant to use overtime as that raises the price.

Consider that the big 0 has been the salesman of the decade for gun ownership. Millions of new customers since last time, add even more to the crisis demand. I saw a blip recently that Remington was suspending component sales in effort to help meet loaded round sales.

I'm good for the long haul for serious use, hunting or whatever, but I am reluctant to burn much for recreational shooting. I may have to use other than favorite chamberings. I have to qualify in May, so I will likely use a hundred or so rounds to tune up, especially the unsupported weak hand at twenty five. They are making it hard on us old farts. Good luck, jack

·
Banned
138 Posts
I'm still waiting for Lee to make dies that I need! and I need some 40 cal.bullets and 223 and 243 and small primers I'm good on everything else.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What bugs me is that I got into reloading a few days before Sandy Hook. Demand was normal high after Zero's reelection so I had to wait and my stuff got in shortly before the massacre. I bought a couple of pounds of powder, a brick of primers and about 300 bullets. I wanted to start loading for my 30-06 and if that went well my 30-30. I wanted to sort of figure out what kinds of loads, powder, etc my guns liked before I started buying 8 lb jugs. I did not even get dies or bullets for the 30-30. Oh well.

I have a fairly good stock of factory ammo left for both rifles. With my modest stash, I have more, much more than I need to hunt the rest of my life and when I calm down, I realize that that is where my interest in guns started in the first place. Times like this make you wish you had more though....it is a little crazy but that is how this kind of stuff feeds on itself. I am just going to calm down and put shooting on hold until things get back to normal.....if they do. If not, I'll just have to be like Granddaddy.....he only shot at game and a box of ammo was a long term investment! I suspect there is going to be some really good deals on all of this kind of stuff in the next recession if not sooner as people who have hoarded it up start needing cash. I do feel for a guy who has bought a new gun and has no ammo to shoot in it. I wonder what is going on with all these record gun sales. Are all these people buying AR's getting any ammo for them?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I've got a modest stash, enough to do for us for a while, but then for now we're only shooting when we've got something that needs shot. I'm not going to get out there and burn up a lot of ammo for nothing that I can't readily replace. But then at my age, I'm not expecting to go to war either.

To be honest, I don't really know what to make of these people who are running around like it's the end of the world buying up all the ammo in sight. My first thought is that they're a bit touched in the head. The second is that I hope they choke on it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We can only hope this crap subsides, like the swany says restock when you find it, I did find one box of thuty thuty at the local wally world , the guy asked if I wanted it I declined, just whatching when or if those .243 start selling, my son is getting ready to get a new rifle. If those start flyi'ng of the shelfs then :hmmmm: he may getting one of my thuty thutys maybe:ahhhhh:. All afternoon I have been cleaning his Henry youth .22. Good Barrell scrubin. I had an old plastic can of Remington .22 "the ones in the silver bucket" they had to be over 10 years old.
Know if can just get to meltin this: 100_4996.JPG

Start makin my own bullets:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I just placed an online order for powder - previously said before that I would never pay the hazardous shipping fees.:shot: That being said the total price wasn't that much more than what I've been paying in the stores.

We'll see when it shows up.........

1895gunner

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Today a freind and I jumped in my truck and went around to a few of the rual LGS, picked up a brick of 22lr, 200 9mm, 120 rds 7.62x39 and a few days ago picked up 250 rds. CCI 22mag.
It's better than it was but still pretty slim pickings. I keep my ammo inventory at a certain SHTF level and anything above that I use for the range. I have switched over to shooting the Single Six more, which helps stretch the 22lr a little farther. Only shoot the SKS enought to stay sharp with it and leave the 30 rd mags at home :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
All of the fear mongering has everyone buying at a frantic pace right now. I can't say that I blame anyone for wanting to stock up on ammo, but good ole Barry has everyone worried sick about him taking everything at once. Hopefully all of the hoopla will settle down sooner than later and inventories will get back to normal within a few months.

Firearms and ammo manufactures have their hands full with business right now along with the retail outlets.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Living here in NYS, I guess I have a different outlook. I can't blame anyone from buying as much ammo and components as they can afford. I do not think it is ever going to get back to normal here. I went to a LGS on Thursday and he was closing up shop the next day. I lucked into a good deal on the Win 1892 25 20 I've been longing for, but it was a bittersweet victory. While waiting around for the paperwork, customers came and went saying "good by", and it was a little like going to a wake. The ammo thing isn't too bad right now (rotten weather and little to hunt), but if it stays this way as the weather improves, we all will feel it a little harder. Thank god I bought as much as I did the last couple years.

Reactions: Catherine
1 - 20 of 46 Posts