Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I had heard they have a problem with not feeding correctly. I bought one from Midway,anyway. I have not had a single feed/jamming issue with it. I will be buying at least one more.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish Midway would be cheaper with their shipping. :-\

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I bought one. It won't feed with a full magazine, in fact it won't feed until I get down to about 7 rnds. I squirted some graphite in, but that didn't help. The factory e-mailed me some fixes, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, I bought one and couldn't get it into my gun. I sanded down the outside so it would fit, and discovered the last shot hold open wouldn't work. I then tried to load shells into it and the sides of the main part of the magazine separated and they all fell out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wonder if that would work in a bolt rifle. May have to check it out.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There are a few issues with these...we've beat 'em to death over at RFC...

If your rifle is Pillar Bedded, it Helps...as you always have the same action/magwellhole mating.

It almost takes an expert in magazine tuning to get 'em working right...so be prepared.
(those who own High Standard's & other Keltec PLR's know what I'm talking about ;) )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Someone on another forum suggested that the 795 magazine will work in a model 25, can anyone confirm this? I would even be happy with a 15 rounder. I already have three 7 round mags. Thanks, TB

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The new Marlin magazines just say, on the packaging "For Marlin Bolt Actions" but I could have sworn there were two styles. One had the stop much lower than the other. Both of the ones I just bought worked okay but needed a little tuning and are not quite the same as the original. One-size-fits-all kind of deal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'll toss in my two cents worth on these Shooter's Ridge high cap mags.

I got the last two at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been out shooting twice now and this is what I've experienced. With Federal Champion 525 round Value Pack copper plated hollow points I've been getting about one nose-up jam about every other magazine load. Most are easily cleared, just lock the bolt back and tip the round out. A couple required some coaxing with a screwdriver. That's a total of 300 rounds of the Federal. I've never had Federal ammo jam in this rifle (a newish 795) using the standard 10 round Marlin magazines. I've also fired 150 Blazer lead round nose, and they've been 100% reliable, no jams at all (in the Shooter's Ridge mag).

The lsho in my rifle doesn't work with this magazine. At least with the clear plastic I can keep track of the rounds that are left and when the follower gets to the bottom of the feed channel, I know it's empty.

I can get 26 rounds in each of these 25 round magazines.

The mags have locking tabs on the back so you can connect two magazine together, and they seem to work okay. Just to be safe, I wraped a lap or two of packaging tape to make sure they stay together.

If I get a chance, I'll get out next week and try these mags with some Mini-Mag round nose and see how they work.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
My Midway order came in last night and one of these mags was in it. I loaded 25 rounds into it and tried to cycle the model 70 by hand. The first round wouldn't feed. Not a good sign! I decided to look into the problem and started to unload the mag and noticed that the cartridges were hanging up on a small step between the two parts of the mag. Tapped the mag into my palm when needed to get all the cartridges up and out.

Here's the fix. You'll need two small screwdrivers (4" - 5") with reasonably sharp edges. Use one driver to press the follower down far enough to clear the top piece of the mag. Hold the mag and screwdriver with one hand and go in through the hole in the front of the mag with the other driver and scrape away the "step" between the two parts of the mag leaving a nice smooth transition.

Now using one of the screwdrivers press on the center of the follower and depress it down beyond the area you just cleaned up and slowly bring it back up. Note any areas of binding and clean up those spots. This one had a rough spot on the back of the mag extending about 3/8" from the top. Once you can let the follower up all the way to the top without any drag or binding you're in business. Total time - 15 minutes.

I took it out today and put 50 rounds of Winchester Super X 37 gn HP's thru without a hitch. The the rain started.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got mine from Midway today, it let's me load 26 rounds! (yep, i counted them three times to make sure!)
Didn't get to use it at the range yet, but when doing the cycling actions by had it had only one ftf.
So far i'm super happy with it, but of course, to be sure i have to take it to the range first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts