Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are varying opinions and information on this subject. Below you will find the email that Luke Otte from Hodgdon Technical Support sent me this morning. Mr Otte states that IMR4895 is not compatible with reduced loads.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 12.37.14 PM.png

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Since when?
Paul B.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Ron Reiber, 22 years at Hodgdon, currently Product Manager, is on record saying IMR 4895 also works with the 60% of maximum rule.
So.. is the 22 year veteran correct, or the fella on the help desk?

• Haha
Reactions: 1894cfan

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ron Reiber, 22 years at Hodgdon, currently Product Manager, is on record saying IMR 4895 also works with the 60% of maximum rule.
So.. is the 22 year veteran correct, or the fella on the help desk?
Please produce the record.

I didn't invent IMR4895, nor did I invent email. I'm a journalist. I presented to the reader, in a factual manner, the evidence that was presented to me. I didn't include my personal opinion.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I'm a computer engineer, and fully aware of the use of script monkeys in tech support.
They respond from their playbook... there is no original thinking or first-hand knowledge.

The article from HandLoader magazine is Here

"A few handloaders assumed this meant IMR-4895 wasn’t safe with loads reduced to 60 percent of maximum, so I called Ron Reiber at Hodgdon. He explained that they’d gotten slightly more consistent results with H-4895 in reduced loads, but IMR-4895 also worked with the 60 percent of maximum rule."

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
"Paul B said:
Since when?
Paul B.
Since 11:53 AM July 19,2021. Upper right side of the email."

Well, this leads me to believe the man knows not that he knows nots. I've been doing just that ever since I started reloading ammo ob the advice of my mentors. I started in 1954 and by 1955 was shooting more reduced, usually cast bullet loads than full power stuff. Made what little money I got my hands on go a lot farther. Never had any kind of a problem with those loads. besides, they're fun to shoot.
Paul B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts