Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I am in the middle of a disagreement with the wife as to the loading of this cartridge choice. I am putting 32g of IMR 4064, Federal 210M primers and 150g TSX FN FB (.308 for 30-30) in Hornady cases that have gone through the FCD. It is a compressed load as you can see in the illustration so ever graciously provided by the wife:

IMR4064-Barnes-TSX-150g.jpg

My wife suggests, sweetly, that "You idiot! Who told you that you could put 32 grains with that bullet? No more than 30 grains, private Pyle, 30 grains!" Not a big fan of compressed loads on 4064 huh? I don't think it's that compressed. The 160g FTX I make with 35.6 grains of LVR come to about the same level, but it is a different powder.

Am I going to blow up the:

Marlin-336M-w.jpg

Or is the wife being over-protective. (This is the first time I've tried this load.)

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
TC Contender manual lists 34.4 grains of IMR 4064 as max.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the Thompson Centers have a much stronger action than levers, and that the loading is limited by the weakness of the 30-30 case, but for a 336? What's the pressure with that bullet weight @ 34.4g? And what velocity does that yield?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I fired some Vor-Tec 150 gn barnes through the backstop and they buried up in the earth berm. The recovered bullets did not demonstrate the classic petals but rather just the nose was expanded out to around 45 cal and lots of shank still left out of my 30-30. This was at 100 yards and I feel it would be plenty to put the hurt on something. When I shoot the 200 gn barnes TTSX they have the classic peel back and exhibit the petals that almost cover the shank out of my 350 rem mag. The 30-30 bullet seems to be really accurate.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Working up loads.........anyone ever heard of that? It's a REALLY good idea.

God Bless the man who can discuss load data with his spouse.........even if she does inadvertently call him Gomer.

Reactions: CWT

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
first of all how long have you been married? I know in my house if the wifey says something it ain't worth arguing about she is always right. Of course I have been married now for 20 yrs or better (lost count).

as others have indicated work up slowly as opposed to running a compressed load up front. I have been using reloader 7 and imr 4198 with those bullets but mid range on the load. I do not have a chrony but bullets are deer droppers Chest shot at 50 yds on a six pointer this year and he dropped right there in the creek.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've been married since October of 1993, but she has been reloading for a lot longer than me. She's been making .338 Win Mag for her rifle for a long time. When we got married, I had a .303 British #4 Enfield and we couldn't find anything other than FMJ in Dallas at the time. Of course we couldn't shoot that stuff at the range so she used to make ammo for that, with cast and SP's. I started re-loading 2 years ago after I started shooting my 336's a lot more and my wife got tired of making 30-30's for me. So, I'm just a re-loading noob. She tells me what components and how much, and I make it. Usually. But I digress.

Work up a load is what she said. So she made me pull all the bullets and start over. With a non-compressed load...

Just wanted to see if there was paranoia or if the wife was right. (Again) Thanks all you guys for the input.

She wants me to try Swift A-Frames too, are those any good? They make a lever-action .308 version.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man,....you got spoiled.........you wife reloaded your ammo!?!..........

Where did you find her, and does she have an older sister?
She did reload my .303, 30-06 and 30-30 ammo until 2012. I didn't feel like I could do as good a job and that I would blow myself up.

UNT in Denton, and no she only has a younger sister. But she is a dingbat and thoroughly useless. She couldn't even shoot a .17HMR.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If she is a dingbat, she too close to what my ex is........so, no thanks, I'll pass, as I've been there and done that.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts