Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found a load on the IMR reloading manual site it called for 27.5 gr. IMR 3031 in the .44 mag. with a240 gr. pill,wellI had extra of both so I tried it out and as per good reloading practice I reduced it by a little less than the prescribed 10 percent [I dropped it to25gr.] and it was still stuffed like me on thanksgiving! I couldn't reach the cannelure without deforming the bullet so I left it up about a nickels width and crimped it as good as I could I shot them today and they had to be the most mild round I've ever shot! they were also [2 1/2 in. group]very accurate the only trouble is they left gobs of unburnt powder in the barrel not much of a load maybe for small game? interesting however.Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Interesting experiment. Other than an emergency, I can't see using a larger quantity of a more expensive powder for less performance. If you want light loads for small game, use less pistol powder.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just throwing my two cents in here. I haven't ever used that particular load in my .44 but, I am convinced that in most cases, whenever you reach nearly 100% loading density, accuracy is better. I've found in my .45-70 that loads using 405 to 460 gr. bullets with 46 to 50 grs. of IMR-4320 gives me nearly minute of angle accuracy at 100 yds. I believe that is why your loads are shooting well, although low velocity. If you go to IMR-4227 or similar powder, your velocity will increase substantially and the accuracy "should" be as good or better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts