Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple good loads for the 7 Rem Mag ( with 160 grn, and 175 grn bullets) but I can't find any RL 25 or hardly any Alliant powder so I don't burn up the RL 22 or RL 25 needlessly in case I run out. I might still be able find some Retumbo none of the stores up here have had Alliant powder for a while. If I can find some at the gun shows I'll snag what I can. Maybe 4831 might be a good alternative. I have stocked up on IMR 4895 because I have some good loads for other calibers and it seems to work in a pinch for just about anything. Have any of you guys used 4895 in larger cartridges like the 7 mag and how did it work for you?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
In a 7mm Rem Mag, for loads involving 160's and 175's, I would lean towards the H-4831 or IMR-4831, or even IMR-7828 before I tried to mess around doing load work with either of the 4895's... 4895 is just too fast burning to be of much use in that case for magnum level loads, especially with the heavier for caliber bullets.

FWIW, IMR-4831 was all I ever used for all of my loads in the 7mm Rem Mag, until I tried the H-4831-SC (which is interchangeable with H-4831). The IMR and Hodgdon 4831's do load differently from each other, the load data for one isn't inter-changeable for the other, but either IMR-4831 or H-4831's worked wonderfully in my rifle - - just took some different charge weights to get the accuracy node I was looking for.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
While I'd totally agree with DWB as to the suitability of using 4895, if you will pick up a copy of the yearly Hodgdon "Reloading" magazine from the news/magazine shelves, you will find 4895 load data for some, typically lighter bullets used in the 7 mag and 300 mag.

However, as was stated, it is too fast a burner and not usable for the heavier bullets which make those cartridges shine.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
4831 used to be the powder of choice for the 7mag crowd, and while RL22 does a great job with my 160gr Sierras, they respond well to a good dose of IMR4831 as well. IMR4895and H4895 are not recommended for bullets that heavy, the usual cut off for the faster powders is around 140gr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts