Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found some IMR 4320 at a estate sale New unopen bottle bought it for 5.00. I have the newer reload manuals but unable to find this powder. went by the gun shop and they showed it in an older lymans 46th edition under trap door 47.0 = 1524 --- 54.0= 1782.
Does anyone know if I can use it in a 45-70 Gov't, If not I only paid 5.00 I can use it to start burn piles

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
In the IMR series it sits between IMR4350 and IMR4064.

I would not consider it a good powder for a straight walled case. Though I do believe it is used in the .458 win mag.

I don't believe I would try it unless your going to go with something in the heavy arena of bullets like 500gn.

Bottom line, offer it up for a trade for something more suitable, unless you have a .308 or one of the various mauser cases in 57mm length. Don't burn it to start fires it is a very good powder.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
swany said:
Bottom line, offer it up for a trade for something more suitable, unless you have a .308 or one of the various mauser cases in 57mm length. Don't burn it to start fires it is a very good powder.
Yup... IMR-4320 is a great powder and burns with almost the identical characteristics of Varget . I have had fantastic results with IMR-4320 in the .30-06 with 150 gr bullets.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It is a VERY usable powder from the .222 Rem. to at least the .30-06 ! It is just not as popular as was in the past. Look through some of the older (not necessarilly old) reloading manuals.

Hip

P.S Lately I have been using it to work up loads in my new to me .300 Savage with very good results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts