Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks. Just picked up a new Golden 39A (my second Marlin) and man, is it a rock-solid, well-finished, impressive hunk of .22 rifle. Can't wait to get it to the range.

Its trigger is crisp, but somewhat heavy. I will want to lighten the pull.

Rather than try to persuade the gunsmiths around here to smooth the trigger surfaces (some of 'em won't do it, and then if they will, you worry about whether they'll do it right), I would prefer to simply buy an easily installed, lighter, aftermarket replacement trigger group.

From whom can I buy such a thing? I hear about this company Rifle Basics. Do they make a 39A target trigger?

Any other good options?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle. The more you shoot it, the better you'll like it.

As for the trigger, I believe the gumsmith route is your only option. I called Rifle Basix about the trigger on my 1897T and was informed by the young lady that they only had triggers for bolt action rifles. This was about a year ago, so possibly things have changed.

I sent mine back to Marlin and they got the trigger down to four pounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Marlin will do that sort of work on your rifle? That would be ideal.

I just assumed that, since the company put the heavy trigger on the rifle in the first place, likely for tort-lawyer reasons, they would be reluctant to lighten it to a decent level themselves.

I'll have to email them and inquire about it.

Thanks for the input, Fullchoke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By interesting coincidence, luisyamaha, I just stumbled on that option (namely, installing a Wolff reduced-weight hammer spring for the 39A) myself. I ordered a kit and will give it a try. A great cheap fix if it works!

You reported some trouble igniting Blazer rounds in your 39A after installing the Wolff spring. I use CCI Mini-Mags for all my .22 shooting, widely viewed as reliable, high-quality rounds. They will be a good testbed for finding out whether FTFs are a general problem with the Wolff spring kit, or just a quirk involving the Blazers.

I'll try to post an update soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
39A

I wrote:

You reported some trouble igniting Blazer rounds in your after installing the Wolff spring.
Actually, you were writing about your 1897T.

Anyhow . . .[/b]

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Basically the same thing. It's just cosmetically different. I haven't been back to the range with Winchester's T-22 to test it some more yet. :(

When I do, and I'll try and get some other brand .22's also, I'll post an update. 8)

Scroll up/down to "1897 T" for some more news. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts