Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems most folks just accept that bulk 22 can be - shall we say - variable when it comes to accuracy and repeatability.
I read something the other day whee a guy says he lubes all his 22 ( I assume with something like LLALOX) and it improves his ammo accuracy a lot.
Anyone else try that? Any other tips?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
We met a guy here that swears by, wait for it, Preparation H for his 22 lube. I have no idea if it works as all of my target ammo comes lubed from the factory. My preferred target practice ammo is subsonic, standard velocity stuff rated at ~1050 FPS or so and using a tried and true 40 grain projectile. I like CCI Standard Veloctiy (#0032 and #0035), Wolf Match Extra, Wolf Match Target. There are some great threads about this topic over at rimfire central, if you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping by there and reading up.

Another thing to look out for, and one that has worked very well for me, is not cleaning the rifle until it indicates it needs it. I used to clean my 22 bore after every shoot but, in my experience, it's better to just keep on shooting until your groups start to open up. Even then, I will typically only use a dry patch on some weed whacker line or on occasion a bore snake.

I'm no champion shooter, just sayin' what works for me based on the research I've done. Do stop on over to rimfire central and do some reading, there are some very knowledgeable folks over there and some great topics covering stuff like this including the topics of sorting by weight and rim thickness (both seem to be wasted time from my reading and experience) and on and on. And, heck, some rifles really can just shoot that bulk like nobodies business, as you know *every* rifle is an individual there...

Good luck.

--James

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
We met a guy here that Swears by, wait for it, Preparation H for his 22 lube.... :hmmmm: I have no idea if it works as all of my target ammo comes lubed from the factory. My preferred target practice ammo is subsonic, standard velocity stuff rated at ~1050 FPS or so and using a tried and true 40 grain projectile. I like CCI Standard Veloctiy (#0032 and #0035), Wolf Match Extra, Wolf Match Target. There are some great threads about this topic over at rimfire central, if you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping by there and reading up.

Good luck.

--James
Geez I Hope that don't get out :listen: on the "Net" to All them folks that Buy/Shoot 22 ammo....! Gonna be A lot of Itchy Holes Around... :bootyshake:.....:rofl:..:rofl:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My $.02? For most applications, other than shooting games groups from a benchrest, all modern firearms are more accurate than we will ever be.

Since 22's seem to be ammo sensitive, some trial and error probably can't hurt you find out which ammo your 22 "likes." other than that, any good quality 22 rifle should be more than accurate enough for the uses it was designed for.

·
Registered
910 Posts
ditto
everyone likes to see tiny little bug hole groups, its a way to do it without spending 10.00 a box for match ammo. i do think you need to start with a very good rifle and scope or you might not notice the difference

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
395 Posts
Like all things, a good crown on the barrel can be a big help, same as having a better trigger to improve groups
and I agree, most times, just finding the ammo each gun likes can be a HUGE deal maker on small groups
just like a good scope, gear matters
I've known a bunch of guys, that like to build custon .22's, and they like to play with barrels, in weights and lenghts
fine tuning all they can, trial and error at times

I also agree with weighing ammo and buying as much from a same lot as you can, if you want to try to get a more same shot for shot box for box deal

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
Buy yourself a Marlin 7000 and your accuracy problems will be solved!:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buy yourself a Marlin 7000 and your accuracy problems will be solved!:biggrin:
Well actually I have a 40's-50's Belgian Browning 22 and a 50's-60's JC Higgens Model 31 takedown.
That Browning is a shooter - my FIL bought it new in Belgium (he was state department in Europe after the war).

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
ditto
everyone likes to see tiny little bug hole groups, its a way to do it without spending 10.00 a box for match ammo. i do think you need to start with a very good rifle and scope or you might not notice the difference
Yeah, can't really argue with that. Things like a good trigger, and a quality barrel are always good things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.