Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well NebrHogger, you're not the only one with oldtimer's disease! While digging on top of one of my safes for my collection of Marlin banners, I found a wooden box. When I took it down, I noticd right off it was a Lyman Targetspot carrying case. Sure enough, when I opened it up, there was a beautiful Lyman Super Targetspot 15x scope!
Went through my safes and checked all my old target rifles, but none of them is without a scope. I knew I had this box, because my Winchester 1885 Hi Wall has a Lyman Targetspot 10x on it, but I can't remember where this Super Targetspot came from?
To top it off, I found 3 of the first style Marlin banners, 2 of the second, and 2 of the third! Thought I had one each of them? I gotta sit down and look through my junk some more!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, I'm not going to scoff at you. I swear that some stuff just crawls off & hides on its own! I thought my 1858 Rem revolver might be in the sock drawer, but under the socks was a box of 257 Roberts ammo (don't even have one) & my S&W 22 Combat masterpiece (pre model 18 ). The S&W went in the safe. I looked at the pic I posted of my gun room - the clean side - & resolved to straighten it up. After turkey season, of course! :wink: Funny thing, though... seems like every time I clean a little, more stuff comes up missing! :?

May we see pics of the banners? Now that SOMEONE has a new camera?? :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I'll put them out and shoot them. Found about 7 boxes of .256 Mag also, and I haven't ever owned one of those!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hang on to the 256 ammo - it's getting expensive, and I bet it will go higher! I've got 4 boxes of yellow & red WW 256 & am holding out for 75 bucks ea. I've been making my own from 357 & not losing too many. I really like the round - it's hard on pasture poodles & doesn't cost an arm & a leg to reload. My model 62 is extremely accurate - even with the rudimentary trigger. Got a 10" contender bbl, too! Seat the longer bullets way out! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I was planning on selling them. Guess I'll know what to ask. Mine are the same boxes as you described.
Here's the banners:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was going to take them to the gun show Sunday. At least the extra 1st style.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They usually sell betwen $80-$100, but I'd take $65 and cover the shipping.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Say! Those are some cool banners!! :D If I hadn't just bought a rifle & have some 'stuff' coming via fred-x :wink: , I'd a been interested myself! :D I think we're doing KC so Rick won't have so far to drive. :wink: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first style banners are still better than anything they've come out with since! I've also got a few store banners from later years. One is a beautiful red silk with white lettering. Not sure when it was made, but I've owned it for 10 years or more.
One of these days, I'd like to convince my wife that all this stuff belongs up on the wall!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way; how are the turkeys in your area doing? Are they all still safe? :wink:

G

·
marlinman93 said:
The first style banners are still better than anything they've come out with since! I've also got a few store banners from later years. One is a beautiful red silk with white lettering. Not sure when it was made, but I've owned it for 10 years or more.
One of these days, I'd like to convince my wife that all this stuff belongs up on the wall!
You mean with all the stuff you seem to have you don't have a "MUESEUM" room :shock:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Val,
Where did you get the 1st model banner in the pic ?
It looks like one that I bought a couple of years ago, and had to replace the wood dowel, end caps and hanging string on. I sold it on the internet a short time later.
Sure looks like my work.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Wishbone,
I'm assuming you're talking about the one with the round knobs? By chance, it also had the pointed gold tips and another string in the same box. I bought these from my friend's estate, but he didn't even own a computer, so probably didn't get them off the internet.
I need to put the correct ends and gold string back on that one before I sell it.
oodmoff,
I'll email you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts