Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I'm liking these peep sights

3K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Eli Chaps 
#1 ·
First time I have had a chance to really try out my 45/70 cowboy with the rear marble tang sights and front Williams ( I think ) globe sight. I shot this 2 inch 5 shot group from the bench at 50 yards

I shot it with this

Using winchester 300 grain factory ammo. Ready to try some lead cast.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: I'm liking these open sights

Nice rifle/shootin' Scott! Take a close up pic of that front sight for us........I'm pretty sure you can get different inserts for it.......Lyman makes 'em.

#3 ·

six_gunz said:
Nice rifle/shootin' Scott! Take a close up pic of that front sight for us........I'm pretty sure you can get different inserts for it.......Lyman makes 'em.
I've got about 20 different inserts for it

Front

Rear

Rear

#4 ·

Nice Brian. I like globe front sights.

Not to knit-pick but those wouldn't be considered open sights. An open sight is like the factory notched sights on the barrel. All of them are considered iron sights but that tang sight would be considered a closed, or peep sight.

But no matter the case, that is good shooting a sweet rifle. :)

#5 ·

Eli Chaps said:
Nice Brian. I like globe front sights.

Not to knit-pick but those wouldn't be considered open sights. An open sight is like the factory notched sights on the barrel. All of them are considered iron sights but that tang sight would be considered a closed, or peep sight.

But no matter the case, that is good shooting a sweet rifle. :)
Corrected. :)

#6 ·
I don't seem to be getting the replies I thought I would. Thanks Eric and Steve. Here is an update. Tried it out again today at approximately 65 yds. Soda cans don't stand a chance.

#7 ·
Pretty cool, Brian. What front sight insert did you settle on as your favorite? How quick does your eye acquire the sights when you throw the rifle to your shoulder? I love peep sights, but have never tried tang sights like those.

#8 ·
miatakix said:
Pretty cool, Brian. What front sight insert did you settle on as your favorite? How quick does your eye acquire the sights when you throw the rifle to your shoulder? I love peep sights, but have never tried tang sights like those.
The insert that I use has a small circle in the middle hanging from the top and you can see your target area thru it. I'm just surprised at how accurate it is considering how bad I am with factory irons. It takes less time for my eyes to adjust than it would if I were using a scope. It's awesome, wish I could afford one for my 357. Thanks.

#9 ·
brianscott12 said:
The insert that I use has a small circle in the middle hanging from the top and you can see your target area thru it. I'm just surprised at how accurate it is considering how bad I am with factory irons. It takes less time for my eyes to adjust than it would if I were using a scope. It's awesome, wish I could afford one for my 357. Thanks.
Brian,

Not sure if already know this but I'll toss it out there just in case...

You can put the insert in either way but the most common method is for it to point op rather than hang down. The intent of the various sized circles is to cover the center of the bull's eye at different known yardages. I don't know a lot about it but that's what the precision shooters use them for. I need to fix the 17A sight I slightly messed up (took a little too much off the dovetail) and get it mounted again on one of my rifles. I actually really liked the circle inserts.

You might try the really skinny post insert too. It is a little tough to get used to at first but they can be really accurate for just target shooting. :)

#10 ·
Thanks Eric. I'll have to look and see if it will fit in the other way. Now that I know how well it shoots I'm gonna try the other 19 inserts. I'm gonna hunt with it next season and give the guide gun a rest.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info, Brian. Learn something new every day ;D Hmm, I wonder if one of those front sights could be combined with a Skinner rear...

#12 ·
miatakix said:
Thanks for the info, Brian. Learn something new every day ;D Hmm, I wonder if one of those front sights could be combined with a Skinner rear...
Don't know but I don't see why not. Got this front on sale for 10 bucks allmost a year ago.

#15 ·
miatakix said:
Ryan, a Lyman 17A absolutely can and I liked the combo on my 336W. I'd still have it that way if, like I said, I hadn't messed up and thinned the dovetail slightly too much making it a little loose. My plan is to use a little JB Weld to build it back up and then file back down and use it on my 1895G.

You can read about my thoughts on it and which one I bought here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,57628.0.html

It might be a couple pages into the thread but it is there. I thought it was a great quick acquisition setup.

#17 ·
A couple of corrections. Eric, you were right it does come from the bottom. I also don't have 20. Only 10. The one on the bottom right is the one I'm using right now.

#21 ·
I have the same set ! I use the one on the top right !

#22 ·
Eli Chaps said:
Brian,

Your globe is a little different than the one I've used. With mine, the inserts can be put in either direction. :)
Yes but you were right about them coming up from the bottom.
buffgun said:
I have the same set ! I use the one on the top right !
You were the one that told me about the sale.

#24 ·
brianscott12 said:
Yes but you were right about them coming up from the bottom. You were the one that told me about the sale.
Thats right I forgot !! must be old age !!

#25 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help, guys. I can't wait to get a similar setup on my 1895, now.

#26 ·
Ill have to post pics of my 1895cb with the globe front and vernier tang !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.