Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as many of you know, it's always been my stance that “I refuse to show photographs of my firearms on the Internet.” But I can't seem to help myself this time. All the guys on the “Hyphenated” Forum have driven me to the brink of madness with their beautiful old rifles and I just had to show mine because I just can't stand not showing everyone.

p30575972-5.jpg

Last September I had to opportunity to be in Boise, ID on my vacation and two really great guys on the forum, JBledsoe and Kid Sopris, asked me to bring my new-to-me 1894 Cowboy Ltd out to shoot some long-range dingers with them. I had an opportunity to shoot a 350 yard dinger and have to tell you, the smile on my face when I heard that faint “ding” was enough to crack my face. I got to shoot several rifles while there and one was a .38-55. I fought it, but knew I was totally hooked. I knew I had to find and set up a .38-55 for long-range dinger shootin' ! I've been watching about 14 Internet sites since then that sell Marlin rifles, but was unable to really find something that suited both my fancy and my pocketbook. I started placing want ads in several of the forums. A few weeks ago a 111 year old 1893 turned up in .38-55 that fit both my fancy and pocketbook. It had “held court” as a safe queen for 13 years, but owned by a meticulous shooter who had really taken good care of it. The previous owner was a gunsmith and exhibition shooter. My gunsmith called me when he got it and said he'd never seen a 111 year old rifle that looked this good. Offered to buy it from me if I ever wanted to let it go. He inspected it with a magnifier and couldn't find any cracks or indication of severe wear or abuse. Said the action was really tight, but he took it apart just to check further with magnification and said, in his opinion it was definitely 100%, mechanically. He put his digital trigger weight tester on it and came up with a 5-pull average of 1 ¾ lbs.!! He again said that who ever the previous owner/owners of this rifle over the years had been, they had taken extremely good care of it. The bore is 80% with only slight pitting. Cowboy Dies, lead and primers are sittin' here waitin' on brass. Can't wait to get an MVA sight added so I can start tuning in the load. WATCH OUT DINGERS, HERE I COME!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, as many of you know, it's always been my stance that “I refuse to show photographs of my firearms on the Internet.” But I can't seem to help myself this time. All the guys on the “Hyphenated” Forum have driven me to the brink of madness with their beautiful old rifles and I just had to show mine because I just can't stand not showing everyone.

View attachment 97530

Last September I had to opportunity to be in Boise, ID on my vacation and two really great guys on the forum, JBledsoe and Kid Sopris, asked me to bring my new-to-me 1894 Cowboy Ltd out to shoot some long-range dingers with them. I had an opportunity to shoot a 350 yard dinger and have to tell you, the smile on my face when I heard that faint “ding” was enough to crack my face. I got to shoot several rifles while there and one was a .38-55. I fought it, but knew I was totally hooked. I knew I had to find and set up a .38-55 for long-range dinger shootin' ! I've been watching about 14 Internet sites since then that sell Marlin rifles, but was unable to really find something that suited both my fancy and my pocketbook. I started placing want ads in several of the forums. A few weeks ago a 111 year old 1893 turned up in .38-55 that fit both my fancy and pocketbook. It had “held court” as a safe queen for 13 years, but owned by a meticulous shooter who had really taken good care of it. The previous owner was a gunsmith and exhibition shooter. My gunsmith called me when he got it and said he'd never seen a 111 year old rifle that looked this good. Offered to buy it from me if I ever wanted to let it go. He inspected it with a magnifier and couldn't find any cracks or indication of severe wear or abuse. Said the action was really tight, but he took it apart just to check further with magnification and said, in his opinion it was definitely 100%, mechanically. He put his digital trigger weight tester on it and came up with a 5-pull average of 1 ¾ lbs.!! He again said that who ever the previous owner/owners of this rifle over the years had been, they had taken extremely good care of it. The bore is 80% with only slight pitting. Cowboy Dies, lead and primers are sittin' here waitin' on brass. Can't wait to get an MVA sight added so I can start tuning in the load. WATCH OUT DINGERS, HERE I COME!

Absolutely beautiful Chris! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankya kindly, little lady. I'm mighty proud. She's a purdy 'ol thing.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Sparky, I'm pumped. I've always liked 'em "older and more experieced", so this 'ol lady is stunning to my eyes. Can't wait for brass.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey Chris,

Congratulations!

Swell looking 1893.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Chris623

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Mark. Was beginning to think I'd never find her.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Thanks, Mark. Was beginning to think I'd never find her.
Hey Chris,

Nice work on the tree stump!

Fits your 1893 perfectly!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hey Chris- Thanks for postin the picture. That is one beautiful rifle and the condition is remarkable. Plus, the quality of your photo was able to give excellent detail when zoomed in. Congratulations on your new family member.

-HD

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hey Chris,

What a BEAUTY!!!!!
I hope that Ol'Girl treats you well.!!! ... If she shoots half as good as she looks you'll be in Great shape!!!

ENJOY
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys. Looks as if I'll have to spend a lot of time in "foreplay" with her before going "all the way"...............brass won't ship until late in the Summer.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Chris,

She's a beauty and it sure sounds like you found a great one! :congrats:

Congrats!

B

p.s. - Can't wait until I can join the club! :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Chris,
Sweet looking rifle, glad your hunt has a happy ending. Looks like someone gets an enabeler star.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
She is a beauty! Congratulations to ya Chris, was a rough wait but the results were worth it. DP

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I don't know much about the older Marlins, but that rifle is gorgeous! Congrats on acquiring such a nice specimen! Now we just need the range report! But how are you going to set this one up? Tang sight? Maybe a globe front sight?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chris! that is a pretty 93! Dang it now I need a 38-55.... No wait! No new calibers to reload!!
With folks showing off rifles like this I doubt I can hold out for long.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts