Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a gal and we are mainly friends, we ain't dating but I do care for her. She is going through a rough patch, and has some other issues from the way she lived before. Her main issues are depression it has been there for awhile, they had to sale their farm (parent's divorce was the main cause of that but not the only one), and I am sure there might be other things as well, God know what they are and can fix them.
I don't know if she is a Christian or not, but that should be there as well if she is not

I need prays as well to keep me from hurting her, hopefully from keeping my heart from getting hurt as well and wisdom to know what God's will is here.

I was over there last Tuesday (March 22th) and her dad made the comment they we should get married, I know he was half away joking and trying to raise out of one of us if not both. I have a feeling it wouldn't bother him if some thing did grow between us. She said we talked about it and agreed, we're against arranged marriages." In case your wondering I had a mare at the farm to foal out there.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well take it one step at a time and maybe offer to take her to church.... what do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Not sure what to say, but I think Gunjunkie's advise sounds good. Take it slow, be a friend, be careful about being alone with her when she's vulnerable. It can lead to romance which you may or may not be prepared for. Pray for her salvation.

I'll definitely pray for you both.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Already excellent advice given. Trust to prayer and meditation,the right path will be revealed.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Hmm, yeah, I'm with the other guys. If you are a born-again Christian and want to follow God's Word here, she is not marriage material if you do not know that she is a believer (2 Corinthians 6:14-18). Trust the Lord's Word on this one, I've been there (not trusting Him on this one), it's there for your own protection, her protection, and the Lord's blessing. From my experience, if I'm in your position, her salvation (and your obedience to the Word) is infinitely more important than any earthly relationship that may develop between the two of you. That's the difference between Godly love and worldly love right there. Also notice that with the Lord, He has the power to grant both (not necessarily with this one...), but only if you are faithful. Sacrifice for her, be a friend, treat her as one of God's most beloved daughters, because if she is or will be a Christian, that's how the Lord sees her (see Galatians 4). And respect the fact that she may be someone else's wife some day and you may take a different woman for your wife that you want to reserve your deepest romantic affections and trust for (you can't know what will be until you actually do the deed and go through with a marriage and the vows are made and sealed).

You just don't know right now, she might eventually become a believer, if she is not already.

Finally, consider that since she's going through a rough time she might not be operating at 100% emotionally, and thus any decisions she might make that she would later regret would be all the more bitter. Protect yourself and protect her during this time.

I could tell you my story that was sort of similar to yours, but I'm not sure if being "scared straight" is what you need right now ;D

I'll definitely be praying for the both of you, brother, I'll put you on my prayer list.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone, I know allot of wisdom has been shared so far. And I don't know way I shared that last comment about her dad saying what he did, but I am not seriously concidering marrying her right now, but I don't want to say it could never happen either.

Maitakix I really want to say thank you allot that is allot of wisdom in your reply. I can name at least one time in my life where God saved me from making a bad choice in a relationship, saved me from allot of trouble and heartache. Thanks again for the bible verses, I knew what the Bible said about realtionships between believers and nonbelievers but I couldn't think where it was in the Bible.

I know I need to take it one step at a time and don't rush anything and be in pray about this whole situation all the time. In truth I don't know what she thinks about me in any regard other than friendship, I might be making more of this situation than there really is there.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
If something is there it will grow, but don't push it let it happen. I went to high school with my wife, but never gave her a serious thought untill many years later. She is the best thing that ever happened to me!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
There is definitely some good advice already given and not really much that I can add to it but I will definitely pray for the both of you and I hope that she finds salvation!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Kentucky-roughrider, the wisdom already shared with you is right on the money. I have just added my prayer to your situation and hope that you will remain faithful to God's Word. May you continue to enjoy the blessings of His faithfulness.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Cajun, prayers sent for the two of you. I can't add to the advice without being redundant. One of my daily prayers is "Lord, show me your will and give me the strength, courage, support, and confidence to do it. Bring to me the peace that passes all human understanding". It helps me. Believe in His gifts and it will help you too.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Follow-up PM sent, Kentucky-roughrider. You're in my prayers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I started this thread and made this request, it was because the whole week leading up to when I made it she had been on my mind. and for some unknown reason (at the time I didn't know what was that reason was) I was heavily in pray for her, I couldn't firgure out why though. Well, on Thursday (8th) she told me that she had gotten back from Cincinnati, from being with her mom while she was having surgey for skin cancer, the doctors told them that while they can't be 100% sure, but there is no need to come back they got it all. I think she said they was only one place they had to get anyway. But God had to have leaved that on my heart to be prayed for, even though I didn't know anything about that part of the situation. And he had to have his hands guiding those doctors as well.

As far as a relationship with her, I am taking it one day at a time and seeing where that goes. But I will remain in prayer and God's word and looking for God's leadership in that.
Sorry about not replying any sooner, my computer was down with a virus, and my anti virus software was a joke.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Use AVG it's free and one of the best out there for protection sometimes you don't get what you pay for..

Bottom of our main page we have Computer help forum and all the downloads are listed .. ..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I didn't read all the above posts but am replying to what you wrote in your first post and the one about holding her up in prayer. You mentioned her "issues" and with good reason. You were listening to that still small voice and started praying for her even though you didn't recognize that voice at the time. Most of us are like that. We hear and either act or do not. So that being said it tells me you are hearing just fine. Put that together with the "issues" and you will have your answer brother.

Dave

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
VTDW said:
I didn't read all the above posts but am replying to what you wrote in your first post and the one about holding her up in prayer. You mentioned her "issues" and with good reason. You were listening to that still small voice and started praying for her even though you didn't recognize that voice at the time. Most of us are like that. We hear and either act or do not. So that being said it tells me you are hearing just fine. Put that together with the "issues" and you will have your answer brother.

Dave
Well said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts