Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I'm buying another XLR................

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  450 Sniper 
#1 ·
I absolutely LOVE my MXLR in 450.............SO..................I decided to buy another one.

This time a 336XLR in .30-30. It's on hold right now - going in Friday to inspect her and put some $$$ down. I had the counter guy verify it has a 'JM' stamp on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver. It does, so at least I know it's a New Haven rifle.

It's $720 - OUCH!!! I paid $650 for my MXLR in 2007 from the same store. That's OK. At least I can personally inspect it and cycle dummy rounds through it before I put any money down.
I can buy a JM stamped 336C new at the local Wally World for $340. I just have a 'stainless addiction' going on right now.

Who has a 336 XLR? Do you like it? Give me the low down on it. If it's like my 450 I know I will absolutely love it.

#2 ·
A gun safe that does not have a 30:30 in it is just wrong. I agree with your idea of doing some QA before you pay for it.

#4 ·
I have a 2007 308. I've been looking for a 338, but have not liked what I've seen so far. I'm perhaps being too picky (want straight barrels and straight cut dovetails.). I think the future deems we're going to really have to inspect the guns we buy. Didn't think of that with this last one.

#5 ·
If it is a New Haven Gun made before the plant shutdown announcement, then get it now! I saw one of the new 336s made by Remington and it was a disgrace! First off, they put the serial number on the side of the reciever instead of on the tang. Next the buttstock that they used was fat and not properly fitted to the gun (the metal piece underneath the lever was portruding out of the wood by a noticible amount). I am very angry at the #@$% clowns who have ruined an awesome company like Marlin. Hopefully someone will buy Marlin from them and resurrect it with quality. I have an XLR made around 2006, it is one of my favorite firearms!

#6 ·
my xlr 30-30 has taken two deer since 2008 and its definatly my favorite gun. i have 4 other lever action 30-30s that work just fine but my xlr is way accurate and points well but even for a long barrel its handy in the woods.

#7 ·
Anyone run any 170 grain hard cast through them? I like the whole leverevolution ammo thing - but for most of my needs I want to run hard cast. I thought the Ballard cut rifling would serve an advantage over the Micro groove.

I like these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=827044

I figured if I run 'em hot, I could take a moose (in a pinch - that's my 450's designated job!)

I have only fired the 325 LE's and hot loaded Rem 405's in my 450. The Ballard rifling gives excellent accuracy with jacketed.
I'm going to switch to Cast Performance WLFNGC 405's for my 450 - figured I may as well shoot cast in the 30-30, too!

Anyone got a favorite cast recipe for the 30-30? How about 'poof' loads for rabbits with Trail Boss?

Oh Man!!! Friday can't get here quick enough! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.