Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm "Bucked Up"!

I posted on the thread "Why do I want a .35 when I have several .30/30's regarding a doe I killed on Tuesday with the .35 following a doe and a spike I killed on Sat. which was opening day for modern firearms in GA.

Well, after "hearing" what I said about the .35, my .30/30 (a Glenfield m30- half magazine, curved grip m336 w/birch stock) demanded a chance to "state It's case"!

I took it yesterday AM and set up on the same whiteoak ridge where I had taken the other 3 deer.

At 7:55am, a smallish doe came trotting down the ridge towards me coming from planted pines off the adjacent property. As she came towards me I turned towards her and thumbed back the hammer on the .30/30. When she turned at a slight angle towards me with her left shoulder, I dropped the hammer on her at a measured 27yds. The Rem. 150gr Corlokt over 35.0gr of Rl-15 (chrono'd at 2,380fps) caught her on the humerous and ranged back through the heart, and into the paunch. Also, bone shards exploded from the humerous blew out a 2" hole adjacent to the entry wound. She reared up, and turned and ran 40yds back the direction she had come from and dropped, all within my sight. It was only then that it dawned on me that she was apparently running from a buck (rut is starting, will peak on this coming full moon- Oct. 27), so I wished I hadn't shot her.

Instead of beginning the "chores", I kept my seat and continued watching her and her back trail. At 8:05, "BIG BOY" made his appearance!

As he was inspecting the dead doe, another 150gr Corlokt caught him broad side through both humerous bones, and took a swipe out of the foward portion of his heart (passed through both ventricles). He ran approx. 90yds down the hill and was expired when I got to him. Exit wound was approx 1" wide. Blood trail was sparse at first, with only drag marks in leaves where he dragged himself down the hill. After approx. 25 yards though, a blood trail a blind man could follow led to a very dead deer.

He has a 10pt rack with "split" brow tines, and a 14" inside spread and field dressed at 140lbs. A real whopper for the area I'm hunting. I had been hunting him since mid-bow season. This was the 3rd time I'd seen him, but the first time in range and in season. (I'd hoped to get him with my muzzleloader in primitive weapon season the week prior).

So, with the spike I shot mistaking it for a doe on opening AM, I'm "Bucked Up" for this year. (we have a two antlered deer limit, at least ten of twelve deer limit must be antlerless).

Unfortunate for me, the buck had festering wounds on his hams from antler tine punctures -meaning-, there's another buck in the area at least as big or bigger than he is! So, I'll have to put some friends in that site to see if they can do as well.

Well, at least in GEORGIA, I'm "bucked up"!
But, I've been invited to hunt a club with several friends in Alabama where the limit is of course a BUCK a DAY, and an antlerless in addition on antlerless days; so, I may have to get another freezer!!!

The "ole DIRTY GERTY" exonerated itself once again! But true to what I've said about the choice of bullets for it, Bullet choice is CRITICAL!

With the shots I made, even my cast slugs would have done equally well, but with shots placed as little as 3" in other directions, a "harder" bullet may have resulted in long blood trails and/or lost deer. If I had been shooting at a 350lb pig, the 150gr Corlokts may have been too soft.

So, I'll stick with my statement regarding the superiority of the .35 over the .30/30. But I really do love my .30/30 too!

BTW, several individuals who saw the deer, speculated that I had shot them with a .270, or some MAGNUM! Were they ever suprised to find out I had used "just a .30/30"!

Now, I hear the "Winnie" m94 in .45colt starting to fidget and jumping screeming "Me TOO"!, "Me TOO"!

If only it didn't "rattle" so much!!!

And, those 157gr FNGC's I forgot to take to the range when I sighted in the scope on the m30 are whimpering too!!!

So much time (retired!), so many guns, too few deer tags!!!!

Hope your seasons are as good as mine has been!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm "Bucked Up"!

Way to go, Goose. I,too, hunt Georgia and the 2 buck limit is tough. I passed on a bunch of good bucks last year because of it. Glad to hear somebody laying them down with a levergun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm "Bucked Up"!

Congrats! And don't fret too much about that two buck bag limit - PA is ONE!

G

·
I'm "Bucked Up"!

I hunt Pa with the one buck limit. BUT I also hunt Va with the three buck limit and unlimited doe tags :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'm "Bucked Up"!

Yes, congratulations! Oregon also has a one buck limit, unless you draw a doe tag, and then you can harvest two.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm "Bucked Up"!

6pt-sika said:
I hunt Pa with the one buck limit. BUT I also hunt Va with the three buck limit and unlimited doe tags :D :D :D :D
Hopefully, next year I will be hunting Georgia. 2 bucks with a total bag of 12. And if I am REAL lucky, I will be able to keep going back!

G

·
I'm "Bucked Up"!

Mike, you are missing the boat ! The best deal right now is in of all places Maryland believe it or not ....Up there you can kill to bucks a season or 6 a year and I believe 30 doe a year . But to me the big drawing card is the SIKA DEER on the eastern shore. We use to have a camp in Dorchester County and I truly miss it :( :( :( Oh with the Sika you may take a buck and a doe in each of the three seasons in addition to the whitetails :D :D :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts