Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I'm Back; New to me Marlin 336

420 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jwleeper
I gave my last Marlin 336 ( I had to reamed to the Ackley) to a close friend way back in 2010. I sold my other levers ( both Winchester Big Bores in .375 Win and .444 as I never hunted them) and it had been years before that I really went through an experimental phase- I've owned/played with many Marlins, from Waffle Top to 24" and even a couple of 32 Specials but 7 Mod 336 in .444. Plus a couple 45-70s. I was a Regular on MO's back then. I went a decade without any levergun at all, but inside I still had a soft spot for the 336/30-30. ( I still lurked MO though!) I love the older guns as I'm Nostalgic, and the JM Marlins "pre-safety" are my faves. That last 336/30-30 Imp I had it set up with a shortened Weaver base so I could also have a Williams Peep on it along while scoped. I love a peep and really, really love hunting, etc with just a peep sighted levergun, but a scope is OK, if low powered.

Now, I just turned 70, have back issues so I have slowed way down, did manage to kill a cow elk in 2021 but with a 300WM. Thing is, she was only about 100yds away! 30-30 sure shot range, ha! That got to me to reminiscing about my first 30-30, bought with my own money at 16. It was a beautiful, well made Winchester 94 Classic Carbine. I killed alot of game with it, but of course I moved on to bigger and better in life. I traded that rifle ( at 22) because up to about 60 yds, it was super accurate, I could shoot a squirrels head off at 30yds and hit a Skoal can lid at 50! But only about 6" at 100! I once shot at and missed a doe (illegal of course) 5 times at 150yds or so. I could not tell where my rounds were going, and she just "stood there the whole time"! ha
So I checked my zero (center of factory bead dead on at 100yds). Then from the sitting supported position I shot at an antifreeze jug at 150 steps, five times. I "knicked it" twice! Then I looked at my brass and noticed a slight bulge one one side. The chamber was slightly oval! Must have been a "Friday" Rifle at Winchester, ha. OR it could have just been me.

About a month ago, while surfing Gunbroker and local ads ( and amazed at how much a JM Marlin was selling for! Ridiculous!) Con't next Post
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Pt 2
I saw a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that was started low, by an NR new guy from AZ. Someone had bid up to $620 , but didn't make the unknown Reserve. I watched it a few days...no one was bidding...so I Bid $700, and WON! ha The only picture he posted was almost blurry, when questioned what year it was, the guy only knew "it was made in Connecticut , so a JM. OK. When I got it, it was obviously someone's old Safe Queen, I mean Pristine. Made in 1972 when I was Overseas for Uncle Sam, what a Nostalgic coincidence! I will try and post pictures later.
I took it to to my Smith, and had a WW Happy Trigger installed ( everything cleaned, oiled while apart) and mounted a Bushnell 1.5x4.5 on it, then bore sighted. I will later have my sling swivel studs installed and a Decelerator pad. I like a pad so when I lean it on a boulder it won't "skid", stays right there. Plus, hey, my old Rig Up Winch Truck right shoulder is sore! ha (I drove in the Army and later on oilfield trucks for 20 years before going to Bible School in Tulsa where I drove a semi for Rainbow Bread at night for three years. I blew a disc and bulged several others while there, first low back surgery in '89)
I wanted another 30-30 as a mild shooter at the Range, hunting when I can/do and I had plenty of components from years back, though I did order some new bullets to try. Some Nosler 150gr RNBTs, some Federal 170gr Fusions, 143gr Lever Hammers, and some reintroduced Barnes Original 190fn. I shot Hawk 190s with Win cases/30gr H335/LR for 2100 (.030 jackets) in that rifle I gave my friend) I like the idea of a 190 for hunting hogs, etc. I'm happy as a pig in slop! Rev Jim Knight "preacher"
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Pt 2
I saw a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that was started low, by an NR new guy from AZ. Someone had bid up to $620 , but didn't make the unknown Reserve. I watched it a few days...no one was bidding...so I Bid $700, and WON! ha The only picture he posted was almost blurry, when questioned what year it was, the guy only knew "it was made in Connecticut , so a JM. OK. When I got it, it was obviously someone's old Safe Queen, I mean Pristine. Made in 1972 when I was Overseas for Uncle Sam, what a Nostalgic coincidence! I will try and post pictures later.
I took it to to my Smith, and had a WW Happy Trigger installed ( everything cleaned, oiled while apart) and mounted a Bushnell 1.5x4.5 on it, then bore sighted. I will later have my sling swivel studs installed and a Decelerator pad. I like a pad so when I lean it on a boulder it won't "skid", stays right there. Plus, hey, my old Rig Up Winch Truck right shoulder is sore! ha (I drove in the Army and later on oilfield trucks for 20 years before going to Bible School in Tulsa where I drove a semi for Rainbow Bread at night for three years. I blew a disc and bulged several others while there, first low back surgery in '89)
I wanted another 30-30 as a mild shooter at the Range, hunting when I can/do and I had plenty of components from years back, though I did order some new bullets to try. Some Nosler 150gr RNBTs, some Federal 170gr Fusions, 143gr Lever Hammers, and some reintroduced Barnes Original 190fn. I shot Hawk 190s with Win cases/30gr H335/LR for 2100 (.030 jackets) in that rifle I gave my friend) I like the idea of a 190 for hunting hogs, etc. I'm happy as a pig in slop! Rev Jim Knight "preacher"
Reactions: 2
Welcome back to MO's from the marshes of south Louisiana.
welcome back. im 64 today. Ive got back issues. I know how you feel. keep doing as much as you can. best of luck.
Thanks guys; hopefully I get surgery by end of month, then I can get strong in phys therapy/ exercise. Did I say that I hate exercise? Lol The reason I couldn’t post a pic is my goofy phone took Videos” instead, no go , ha. I’ll get to before end of weekend. This rifle has zero, zip use marks. Only mark is where my smith accidentally hit forearm when tapping in a rear sight replacement dovetail blank, or wedge thing.
Reactions: 1
Looks like you are ready to hit the slopes come hunting season. Good for you. I'll be 74 when the elk are bugging. Last elk was harvested in 2017, on my birthday. Good to hear from you.
Welcome back, and congrats on your new 1972 30/30!
Welcome back to the forum from the great state of Tennessee 👍

(As I sit here knee up and iced after my 2nd knee operation in less than 2yrs. 🙄)
Welcome back, and thanks for posting, but you know what they say... PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! LOL

Luis
Great to have you back preacher......howdy from Texas. The Barnes 190gr area wise choice for the 30-30 win.happy hunting..
Thanks guys. I'm scheduled for May 31st for the back surgery, thanks for the prayers! In the meantime, I took the Marlin back my smith and told him to ream it out to the Ackley, like my last 336, ha! I might as well go for it while I'm recouping, right? :)
I couldn't get my computer to load them last time, I messed up. ha So when the rifle gets home from the smith, I'll get some posted ( even if I have to get my Grand Daughter to help me!) 😀
Welcome back brother!
My grandaughter has to do my pic postings also. I do have one last one ( HA HA ) to post. Just picked up a very nice '74 Marlin RC in .35 Rem. Like I need another rifle.
Have a great day.
Jim
1 - 16 of 16 Posts