Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen (and ladies), due to some very unfortunate personal circumstances I’ve been away from this great forum and only been able to dip in and out on the odd occasion during the past six or twelve months.

I’ve managed to get out with the Marlin XLR and knock over a couple of deer in that time, but to be honest it’s been a very tough time.

Hopefully, God-willing, I’ll now be able to be “back on the scene” and get back to more regular postings from this side of the pond and contributing a little more than of late!

I realise that it’s not one of our beloved Marlins, but my project rifle build is finally finished and what with it being a .45-70, I thought some of you fellas might like to see her!

I really need to get out and "make some noise"...although hopefully, not too much! :biggrin:
LEE 45-70.jpg LEE 45-70 4.jpg LEE 45-70 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's a Nice'un!

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
11,160 Posts
Leezie,

Is that an Enfield or a Krag?.............I've never owned either, so I'm confused...........either way, thats a good looking rifle.

Welcome back!

Tom

·
Registered
525 Posts
Leezie,

Is that an Enfield or a Krag?.............I've never owned either, so I'm confused...........either way, thats a good looking rifle.

Welcome back!

Tom
It's not a Krag I've got one. It sure is neat looking. Welcome back. Would love to see some video and audio of how quiet it is! Mark.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leezie,

Welcome back!

Tom

Thanks Tom. It's a Lee Enfield No. 4 MK II .303 British action from a scrapped 1943 rifle (It's a "butter-smooth" action). The furniture was shipped over from your country (Boydes) and the barrel was made for me by Walther Lothar in West Germany. The sound moderator is a PES / MAE T-12 Scout from New Zealand...so all in all, it's a bit of a United Nations rifle! :biggrin: I've been cold-swaging some very nice 385-grain lead HP's (using a Corbin Swager) as over here (UK) we have to use what is referred to as "Expanding ammunition" on deer...i.e it's illegal to use any bullet that is not designed to expand on impact, so no flat-pointed 405-grainers, no piledrivers etc!...stupid bloody rule / law, but there you go! :-( I'm currently experimenting with some sub-sonic Trail Boss loads as well as some faster JHP's as even with supersonic loads, that "can" on the end of the barrel really quietens things down! :biggrin:

Regards,

Lee.

Reactions: Tomray and njcioffi

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nicely done, thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Cool setup... Welcome back!

And second on a video of it being shot... Quietly... Ha!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Thats 2 rifles you have now that I am envious of..... :biggrin: I love the suppressors and sure wish they were legal where I am. Even if I had the money, they are illegal in California.

Beautiful rifle you got there!!!

Doc

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats 2 rifles you have now that I am envious of..... :biggrin: I love the suppressors and sure wish they were legal where I am. Even if I had the money, they are illegal in California.

Beautiful rifle you got there!!!

Hey, good to hear from you Doc!...you've changed your avatar since I was on here last...still a "huckleberry" I see! ;-)
Just the two rifles? What about my loverly moderated / silenced .308 Sakos? (Model 85 and TRG-2 sniper platform) :biggrin: it seems that gun laws are just crazy worldwide...I'd love to own some of your guns, but ain't allowed them over here! Fricken law-makers!!!:(

Reactions: Doc Holliday

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey L,

Glad to see you back.

Is that an Enfield action?

The 45/70 really does well "suppressed".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey L,

Glad to see you back.

Is that an Enfield action?

The 45/70 really does well "suppressed".

Later, Mark

Cheers Mark...Good to be back buddy! Yeah, it's a 1943 Lee Enfield that was destined for the scrap-heap and needed a new lease of life...and what better re-birth than in a .45-70! :biggrin:

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Nice set-up you got there Leezie and glad to have y'a back!

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
welcome back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts