Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shopping boolits for my new 308 express. Wth is the difference between the leverevolution bullets and the SST'S? Or the AMAX for that matter? Or the nosler gummies? Or the barnes? They all have soft polymer tips

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
that's a good question
I'm not really a fan of the polymer tip bullets, but some are
just not my preference, but I am curious

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather have some good hard cast for the 308....but

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Go to Midwayusa and click on the different bullets and they will give you a run down on their specs. The levereloution has a soft tip allowing it to work in leverguns. The SST;s and Barnes have a hard polymer tip. Lots of folks like the SST's but they are really destructive. The barnes bullets are longer than most and you have to seat them deeper but they are excellent and tuff. I would not recommend shooting the SST or the Barnes in a lever gun unless you do it as a two shooter. You probably already knew this.

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
Hornady developed and patented the Flex Tip or FTX polymer used so as to make a spitzer safe for tubular magazines. I've read in detail their patent and trust me when I say, no other manufacturer can get around their patent, the wording and nature of the patent makes it locked!

That said, no other manufacturer has FTX nor can they utilize it on their bullets. Horseshoe is correct in that other polymer is hard. So, for loading up tubular magazines the only alternative is a flat nose with varying sized meplat's. Honestly, in hunting I prefer flat nose or round nose over spitzers. They are incredibly reliable in a much broader scope of shot opportunities as in raking shots as an example. Further, Flat Nose bullets expansion aren't as explosive as the FTX are which have been known to blood shot meat.

In my mind it is hard to beat a Flat Nose for hunting where short to medium distances are involved.

Jack

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I don't know either but I know the Hornady LE's would shoot one hole at 100 yards all day that rifle was ridiculously accurate the only reason I got rid of it is because I was having problems with the lever locking open on it!!! It did it twice and I didn't give it a chance for a third time!!!

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With regard to the SST'S., I use them in my 300 blackout and they are amazingly effective

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
There is no doubt that the flex tip 308MX has ballistic advantages over a flat nose. I shot a 307 Winchester for years, long before the flex tip and 308MX showed up, never felt handicapped. These days I have a 308MX. Using the Speer 170gr FN Hot Cor hand loaded out of the 307 Win at 2450 fps, with a 150 yd zero the drop was about 9 inches at 250 yds. The factory 308 MX 160gr Flex Tip at 2660 fps sighted to 150 yds has a 7 inch drop at 250 yds. Some folks would consider that a meaningful difference, and some would not. I've never put the 308MX factory load across the chrono, so I don't know what the speed of the load actually is.

Would agree with the other posts, that using a hard polymer tip in tube magazine, is probably not a good idea.

For the record, I shoot flat nose or Rem round nose hollow point out of all my levers.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was shopping boolits for my new 308 express. Wth is the difference between the leverevolution bullets and the SST'S? Or the AMAX for that matter? Or the nosler gummies? Or the barnes? They all have soft polymer tips
All of these bullets are essentially hollow points with an insert covering up the hole. Lever bullets have softer tips than the others for use in tube magazines....IMO probably the only thing that is different from a typical SST. The AMAX is a frangible target bullet, not designed for hunting but people use them for it anyway.

Barnes are solid copper bullets....the rest are of typical jacketed construction. Those are the main differences I can see. If you have a lever gun, you are supposed to use either the gummies or conventional round/flat bullets or if you use spritzers load one in the pipe and one in the mag for a two shooter.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Any expanding bullet will cause "blood shot" meat. Even a shotgun slug. Even the .45/70 with 400gr cast boollits at 1,300fps.

The FTX are decent bullets and yes, the tips are "soft", whereas the Ballistic Tips, SST's, BlitzKing, ect; all have hard polycarbonate plastic tips. Also, most of the "tipped" bullets are intended for an impact speed of 1,900fps or greater to work as intended. The worst performance I've ever gotten from "expanding" bullets is several lot #'s of SST's. Some .284" 139gr SST's wouldn't expand from my 7mm08 loaded to 2,900fps m/v. The only deer I recovered shot with bullets from that lot# was a frontal spine shot with deer with it's head down grazing and facing me (I was in a 14' ladder stand) and range was ~40yds. The entrance and exit wounds were ~1/4". Other deer shot were never recovered....Lung/heart shots... No blood trails other than trace.
The Hornady A-max are a "different" breed of cat...however.. Thin jackets and large tips that initiate expansion at very low speeds (not originally intended as a big-game hunting bullet). Some however have found that they are excellent bullets for smallish deer or at extreme range.

It too, prefer flat-nose or round nose bullets.
However, my favorite .30cal l/a bullet is the Nosler/Winchester 150gr Balllistic SilverTip. It is a "blount" round-nose ballistic tip bullet. The black coating is irrevalent, as it easily scratches off. But, the bullets are heavily constructed and expand well but hold together well. And, they are extremely accurate.

Close behind the BST, are the Remington Corlokts. Alas, since Remington was sold to Freedom group, the Corlokts are made from "unobtainum" and when available are more expensive than Sierra's or Hornady's.... so.... I use the FTX in the .338ME's if not using cast RN or FN's....

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's the heaviest boolit you lead heads have used in the 308MX?

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the issue with using 30-30 bullets? Their both .308 right? Is it the length?

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
What is the issue with using 30-30 bullets? Their both .308 right? Is it the length?
Nothing wrong with 30-30 bullets but for the Express cartridge, the ogive is completely different creating a shorter nose section and longer shank that not only creates a longer bearing surface but when seated at the cannelure crowds powder capacity. That and the BC suffers due to the ogive used for 30-30. But yes, both are .308.

We should be getting our custom dies in soon and we'll have a flat nose bullet specifically designed for the Express cartridges specs. They will have the correct ogive creating a longer nose section and a shorter shank section, they won't crowd powder capacity, they'll have the correct amount of bearing surface and a much higher BC. Not to mention premium construction. When we are finished with R&D we will be debuting them.

While it is true all expanding bullets will create blood shot meat to some degree... the explosive expansion of FTX at shorter distances, due to their light construction to expand at longer distances, are truly amazing in producing an abundance of blood shot meat. Being a meat hunter they do not produce the results I want.

Jack

Reactions: Three_oh_8MX

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
Sweet. I volunteer to test them ;-)
Hey, in reference to myself testing them... I second that notion! :biggrin:

And the sooner the better.

Jack

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Here is an example of the difference in jacketed bullet shape as relates to the ogive, between a tradition Round Nose or Flat Point, verses, a more modern design seeking to maximize ballistic efficiency, in this case 35 Rem (right) vs 356 Win, both 200gr Win Power Points.

161.JPG

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Tons of great info here from GG, Jack, and others.

The heaviest bullet I've used in the 308MX was 170gr Remington RNCL, a 30-30 pill.
I still have a few of those around because they shoot so good in my rifle.

There are several of us patiently waiting to get our hands on Jack's new product.

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
Tons of great info here from GG, Jack, and others.

The heaviest bullet I've used in the 308MX was 170gr Remington RNCL, a 30-30 pill.
I still have a few of those around because they shoot so good in my rifle.

There are several of us patiently waiting to get our hands on Jack's new product.
Thanks Chris and you can add me to that list as well.

Although, I may be the least patient. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you don't like those Hornady FTX bullets we can untrade. I was going to load them in the 30-06 or 308 win but since you were looking for something for the Marlin Express I made the offer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts