Marlin Firearms Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well the mourning of the 5th was 6 months, kinda snuck up on me. They say it takes 65 days to break a bad habit and I feel like that may be true the last 3 months were much better than the first 3.
Anyway I suppose its just an irrelevant number in the grand scheme but it felt good to get to that half a yr mark.

Hope you all are doing well Ross

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow just found this thread. Nice to know I'm not the only one here who has struggled. 30 years sober for me. Didn't want my son to grow up with a drunk, very confusing for a kid. He's 30 now & does drink but in moderation, something I could never do. Thank God for this every day.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Nov 2019 marked 35 years sober. You read my old post here, back in 2015, so I'll try not to repeat myself. A couple years ago, I had a shot of moonshine in a couple different flavors. I was not afflicted to have more. I was able to turn down offers to take some with me as we were several weeks from home. I have never craved a cold beer, but do seriously love good scotch and bourbon, and have steered clear of them for all these years. In 2018, I survived a prostate cancer scare, did the surgery and still cancer free, but man alive, I was mad at the world after having 69 years of virtually clean health! Through all that, I never even gave a thought to picking up a bottle, though it may be why I indulged in the moonshine referred to above. Now, 16 months after surgery, still cancer free and I find the craving for a sip of fine bourbon creeping in and getting stronger. I don't think I'd give in and get soused, but I do prefer to keep it clean and stay sober. Three of our seven children drink at least socially, one way too much. They have never seen me take a drink and choose to not listen to me. What could I possibly know? I know that booze and babies don't mix. I know you can't run a marriage from a six-pack. My child that drinks too much has lost his wife and kids, knows it's the drinking, and still won't give it up.

To those of you who haven't read this whole thread, I heartily encourage you to back up the truck and read all three of these pages. Lots of encouragement and heartfelt testimonies of the gain of being sober. It doesn't take a program. It doesn't take an organized meeting. It does take a reason. It has to be important to the individual to become sober. To get off the addiction, whatever it is. There are times that I feel addicted to gunpowder! At such times, I reach out to my guitar playing pals, it changes my focus just enough to maintain the balance that my marriage needs. I know it works because my wife will go in the kitchen and put together a long overdue batch of molasses cookies, my personal favorite, and maybe an apple pie. There is no alcohol in our house for cooking purposes. These are the best years of our lives.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Forgot to get on here, made it to one year on the 4th of July, guess it will be a added bonus to ck another year sober of as we celebrate our great nations birthday every year. When I looked back the year flew by, so much going on in the last year honestly don't know if I'd have made it through had I still been drinking. That's not to say all has been smooth on many occasions my family,friends, and I have had the running joke picked a hell of a time to quit drinking when tough situations have come up and there has been quite a few this year. In all honesty don't miss it and damn sure don't miss the hangovers.

Thanks Ross

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Good man !! Well done !! It just gets better and better if you try to let your Higher Power in to give you a hand. Over the years ( 36 of them now, sober) I've thought a lot about what prayer is. To me it's not about asking God to fix other folk up or to stop wars etc etc etc. That's none of my business what my Higher Power has in store for other people. I ask that I be shown the way to do things as He would want me to do them. It works !! And I'm not religious. I think religion is man made and I don't want much to do with it. Now spirituality.....that's different and I want a whole lot of that. It's given me 36 years of happiness and prosperity.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts