Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
This seemed like the most appropriate place for this, if not please feel free to move delete or do as is fit with my apologies.

Yes, I'm a friend of Bill W. To those of us who know that means I go to AA. I have been off alcohol and drugs since 8-15-1988. I cook a lot and heard that pie crust is amazing if you substitute some of the water with Vodka, the alcohol evaporates at lower temps than the water and creates a really fool proof pie crust.
Last evening I was making pies and asked my daughter it there was any Vodka in the house and there was not. So for the first time in 26+ years, I went to a Liquor Store and bought alcohol. It was strange, to say the least. No I did not drink any and my daughter has the rest to use for herbal stuff she does but I still am amazed at the profound effect buying liquor had on me.

I almost feel as though I cheated Death.

I just wanted to talk about it and see if any other friends of Bill W have done something similar or I'm just crazy playing with disaster.

Thanks for letting me ramble and Blessings to all
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Hey Mark,
Fellow friend of Bill W as well. Vodka was also my spirit of choice.Congratulations on such a long term. I fell off the wagon a time or two over my 30 years, but retired from my career about three years ago and found that in doing so I had also lost my motivation to imbibe. I've been clear for those three years, but I still purchase the spirits when the wife and I entertain. I also like to cook, so I may try the vodka pie crust trick. My feeling like you described came a few years before I quite drinking, but after I had put down a 3 pack a day smoking habit. I felt like I had dodged a bullet when I could visit with friends at a bar and have drinks, but not relapse on the smoking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the pie crust the difference is amazing to me. I never thought something so simple would make such a difference. On the plus side I never considered drinking any of it, it was just the realization the this was the first time I purchased liquor in such a long time.
If I say I'm pretty secure in my recovery I better get to a meeting, you know the adages about being too comfortable.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,944 Posts
You are using it as a spice, so to speak. And unlike some kids today that snort cinnamon, you felt no urge to 'fall in that hole' for the thrill. You are a credit to the cause. God bless you all, one day at a time. We all have our demons, and like the rest of life, it is not the cards we were dealt, but how we deal with them. I am thankful today for all my fellow friends, some I've never met, from this site, that have supported me when I'm down ...AC

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Congratulation to y'all for resisting temptation. I don't think I would have gone to the liquor store and risked throwing away 26 years of being sober. I quit smoking 32 years ago and hardly think about it anymore but would be foolish to smoke a cigarette to see what I miss. Again I applaud y'all for being strong and let's all give thanks for our blessing's no matter how big or small. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
After being on the receiving end of spirits bottles for 40+ years, I finally came to realize this is not how I want to spend the last years of my life. It's taking me a while to clean out remaining bottles in the house, been over a year now and I too have lost the desire for drink.
I salute all of you that have many years of sobriety to your credit.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Will be 26 years next Jan. for me. Best 26 years of my life!!

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,944 Posts
Standup2p; You don't go to a whore house to listen to the piano player.[/QUOTE said:
You might if the girls there kept giving you the clap but you really liked the band. Many sober alcoholics I know spend a lot of time in bars. They are still alcoholics, just sober, and like many of the traits of alcoholics. When they meet one who needs the help they once needed, you are there for them. Jesus walked among the sinners. AC

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have not had a drink in over 3 years.Due to heart problems. The doctors had my wife making my funeral arrangements back in 2007 at 48 years of age,I never considered my self a alcoholic, I should have quit earlier.Smoking and drinking would trigger my irregular heart beat.I have gone this long with out it why would I want to spoil it now?

·
Registered
890 Posts
A very grateful friend of Bill W here as well. If I make it - one day at a time - to this coming February 10th I will have been alcohol free for 25 years. We have plenty of alcohol products in our home for those that choose to drink it and I've bought it many times over the years but once I made that commitment to myself I never once wavered. .. But it wasn't always easy. .. Sober cheers to all!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Good for you, Mr.Dig!

FWIW using vodka for the liquid in pie crust allows the indredients to mix quickly and easily but "cheats" in the amount of water used. Over handling or over mixing the dough activates the gluten and makes the crust tough. Too much water will make it too dense. When the alcohol cooks off, it is as if the dough were mixed using only about 60% of the water. The result is a tender and flakey crust. Vodka contributes nothing to the taste of the crust, it only improves the texture. It is not a "spice".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been a friend of B. W,coming up 32 years,it has been the saving grace since I finally gave up the idea I was a social drinker. I have been hunting for over 60 years and doing so sober for nearly 32, have seen and harvested more,had a lot more fun,and learned not to take life to damn serious,you all have a great day. Jack. (Cut Block.

·
Registered
39 Posts
brother, good for you for staying sober. A close family member is an alcoholic and she did fall off the wagon twice, and it was pretty bad. She is now sober about 15 years. My experience is that without becoming sober you end up dead or in jail. There is pretty much no other result. One day at a time and good for you!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Mark, I guess different things work for different people. Several years ago, I was in a home brewing and winemaking supply store, and the lady there offered me a sample wine she had made. It was excellent, and I told her so. She said "so I've heard." I asked her what she meant, and she told me she hadn't had a drop to drink since 1962.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, I guess.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts