Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc Sharptail & Kaintuck both told me to steam the dents from my new 1880 Italian musket. Okay, I knew they weren't kidding, but I did not realize how WELL it works! We no longer have a tea kettle, so I used a wet cloth & very hot iron. MAN!! You would not believe how many dents are gone! Well, maybe you would, but I was skeptical.

Got a few more to steam & then it's BLO & lots o' elbow grease time. This musket has exceptional tiger striping or I would not be going to all the trouble. Historically,after WWI, there was virtually no tiger striped walnut left in Europe - let alone Italy.

The seller said it was un-shootable. Well, as I bought it, it certainly was unsafe to shoot. I plugged the bbl & let it soak over night with plain alcohol, though. Next day, I ruined 2 new bore brushes scrubbing several grams of crud away, but the net result was a nearly perfect bore.

Okay, it's not a Marlin, but is is very much collectible, and I'm so enthused with the results, I just had to post! :D I love it when a plan works!! :D SW

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Where are the pics????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics? Well, here are the 'before' pics. What a mess, eh? And Mr. Shum8, the term 'exceptional tiger striping' is relative here. I know well you have seen better on over the counter 22s, but for a 19th century milsurp, this ain't bad at all!

The action has been cleaned up entirely, and I ruined 2 towels and an old T-shirt in the process. The seller claimed it was a WWI bring-back from Belgium. (???) Seems to me the Italian Army was otherwise occupied discussing points of contention with the Austrian army about then. Now, if he had said North Africa... but he did not, so I believe it is an early import that has not been cleaned since WWI. If then!

The cosmoline had dried to the consistency of spar varnish, and it was dented like it had been used for bayonet practice. Happily, it is somewhat improved that way. Much remains to be done, but progress has been made!! Oh, it cost a whopping 60 bucks. :D SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Must be Walnut of a good grade then, if it responds well to steam. I run across a birch/beech(?) milsurp stock that would not raise the dents to steaming.... on a sort of related note, some of the laminated early German milsurp stocks are quite interesting- of square rod construction of varying lengths...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
NebrHogger said:
Doc Sharptail & Kaintuck both told me to steam the dents from my new 1880 Italian musket. Okay, I knew they weren't kidding, but I did not realize how WELL it works! We no longer have a tea kettle, so I used a wet cloth & very hot iron. MAN!! You would not believe how many dents are gone! Well, maybe you would, but I was skeptical.
Yup - Steam works wonders. I have a small iron used to apply iron on coverings to R/C aipcraft, and it has a fairly small head, and works great for steaming dents. Take a chunck of cloth saturated in water, and hit it with the iron, and it really is shocking what it will raise. Had a fellow bring over a fairly new Remington 700 he had loaned his brother immediately after buying it, the brother dropped it on a large rock, and crushed a place as big as a nickle in the checkering on the forearm. He wanted me to splice in a new piece of walnut, and recut the checkering. I wound up swelling the entire dent out, and slicked up the checkering a little. He was tickled he couldn't see the splice joiont, and I had a heck of a time convincing him I had really just steamed it out. Given a little patience, it works wonders. Hard on most finishes, though.

Shum8

·
Registered
719 Posts
steamin' mad.......

s~glad she's working for you! I have steamed till the area is smooth, then 600-900grit sanded, then re-stained some. looks will be great!....just be VERY careful inshooting this one...remember eye protection! i had mine blow a primer and it went into my face!.....safe they ain't!
now after looking at your itailain....i need to go look at my swissers..... :wink:
i need to reload for my 1889.....with .311" bullets, found this out just the other day!..been loading with .308" and she still gave 'hunting' accuracy! :idea:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts