Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Don't most states require a hunter safety course for everyone less than 20 or so years old before they can have a licence?
Isn't the 9 year old going to get some sound education in that course?
I have seen some really strange things go on between dads and kids at the gun shows. Sometimes I have to bite my lip.........

·
Registered
895 Posts
On a positive note (I try to find SOMETHING salvageable) at least Dad had him out. Teaching my boys to shoot and seeing the payoff is soooo satisfying, it breaks my heart when their friends wished they could learn how to shoot. They live on electronic games and TV. I'm taking an 11 year old girl and her dad out this winter. I'm going to work with both of them. I'm guessing this dad in this story is more than likely teaching his son what he has been taught. He probably doesn't get into guns, shooting and hunting like we do. At that point.....he must listen to the "old man" at the range.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Don't most states require a hunter safety course for everyone less than 20 or so years old before they can have a licence?
I have seen some really strange things go on between dads and kids at the gun shows. Sometimes I have to bite my lip.........
Not in Missouri, if they are accompanied by an licensed adult. 6 year olds through 15 can participate in youth deer hunting. It used to be worse, I literally saw 3 and 4 year olds "hunting", and registering large trophy bucks. Dad gets a tag in juniors name, and gets to get an extra buck (we are limited to one per year), and the chance to illegally hunt two weeks before the regular gun season. Missouri deer hunting regs are driven by car insurance companies wanting fewer deer/car collisions, not sound game management. For example, Muzzleloader Season used to be a season where you either bought a rifle tag, or a Muzzleloader tag, you had to make a choice. Now they just call it alternative season, most anything goes, including short barreled AR platforms with removable butt stocks, as they are considered a handgun. For guys like me, without private ground, or the ability to pay $1000 a day lease, it has about ended any hunting opportunities. Woods are just as full during "alternative season" as they are during regular rifle season. Don't even get me started on "Bow season" now starting September 15th, as opposed to the long standing Oct 1st date, and the legal use of crossbows. Woods are even full during bow season now.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Something to keep in mind... Is that once we were all ignorant of firearms, ammunition, ballistics, scopes... etc...

These days I try to educate, teach, spread the wisdom. In a courteous, friendly way.

Something to think about perhaps.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Safety is one thing we all need to stand up and speak out about in any case.
Gun Choice is another matter.
I like Showing, as was suggested, more than Talking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is easy to decry ignorance on the part of shooters and gun owners, but let us not forget how many knowledgeable collectors use that ignorance to shive valuable guns out from under ignorant widows and family members. Many do the right thing, and strive to make a deal that is fair to all parties, but many a collection has been obtained with help from Ignorance.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
"
I have seen some really strange things go on between dads and kids at the gun shows. Sometimes I have to bite my lip........."

I'm pretty sure most if not all states require taking the Hunter ED course if the hunter is under 18 years of age The only exception might be if the hunter will actually be 18 at the time of the hunt. Least ways that's how it was when I was teaching. If there were any exceptions while I taught, I never heard of any. One of the reasons besided health problems was changes made to the course push by the feds. Then AZGame & Fish started teaching classes and pushed a lot of the instructors to minor positions. One of my jobs was running the rifle range on range day and then all of a sudden, after sixteen years of doing it, I was no longer qualified to do do so and a Fish & Game officer took that part over. I could still assist doling out ammo but that was it. In the classroom, they literally killed the portion regarding handgun hunting to almost nothing. That was one of the changes by the feds. BTW, I still taught the whole portion from the old book. The kids loved it.
Paul B.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
The first part of your post made me giggle, but the second part I quoted is sadly true. We have no blaze orange laws in BC, and up to a year ago, I never wore any in my 52 years. Last year, and this year, I’m all about the blaze except when hunting turkeys or waterfowl.
These are the kind of people that give hunters a bad name. We have orange blaze vest requirements but still had accidental shootings. I can't figure out how you can mistake a guy wearing a orange vest for a deer especially when you have a scoped rifle. The other dumb thing these kind of guys do is to use the scoped loaded rifle like a pair of binoculars. This is one of the reasons why it is required that you pass a Hunter Ed class before you can buy a hunting license here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many years ago I was at the pistol range here in Australia and there was a guy with a double stack stainless Para Ordinance 1911 in 40 S&W. It was obviously fairly new and I had never seen him there before. He was having a lot of trouble with the gun and watching him it seemed it was often not going fully into battery. I wandered over and politely enquired what the problem was. I asked if he had trimmed his brass to the correct length as it headspaces on the front of the rim. He ranted at me that he was an engineer and knew all about tolerances and knew what he was doing. I obviously left him to it.
As a Veterinarian I was on call and had an emergency call out soon after so had to go in to the clinic and returned in about an hour. When I walked back into the range everyone was standing around a bench on which lay the Para Ordinance pistol in several twisted pieces. Luckily no-one was injured.....

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I'm not good enough with computers to post a link, don't know how. A short time back, this year or late last year one of our members was at a range. He and his friend were well behind the firing line. Somebody putting their rifle in a hard case, also behind the line, shot our member's friend. Standing right next to him. The guy was seriously injured. The thread went on and on, and someone else posted a story about a rifle (the same model that shot the guy behind the line) with a defective safety that he and his Uncle carried around for 20 years, loaded. And maybe that's why the unfortunate accident at the range occurred. I asked him why he or his Uncle didn't repair the defective safety before someone got killed or injured. But he never posted a reply.

Ignorance is where you find it. This one had two helpings.

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
You don't have to be ignorant to have an unfortunate accident. One of our club members who is a well seasoned gun owner and reloader blew up his FN FAL rifle at the range. I was there about 4 stalls away and heard that characteristic loud boom that is way above normal. The FAL barrel was ejected all the way to the 50 yrd line. The receiver was damaged but did not blow apart. He was not hurt at all (fortunately). We retrieved the barrel that went down range. After as we talked it turned out to be a case of powder mix up. The owner who knows better had rushed to load 308 rds and was working with more than 1 powder on the bench.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Was reading one of the Brownells books, Gunsmith's Kinks, and had to laugh at one of the stories in there. Apparently someone took the bolt of their newly acquired rifle to a gunshop and asked them to fit a stronger firing pin spring.
The one that was already fitted wasn't strong enough and the bullets weren't reaching the target.
Now THAT is ignorance

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It is easy to decry ignorance on the part of shooters and gun owners, but let us not forget how many knowledgeable collectors use that ignorance to shive valuable guns out from under ignorant widows and family members. Many do the right thing, and strive to make a deal that is fair to all parties, but many a collection has been obtained with help from Ignorance.
I've actually seen this at the gunshows.
When you do about 20-25 gun shows a year you get to see things you would rather not.
Lately, it's the guy that brings in an 80% whatever that he looked up on GunBroker and thinks it is 40-50% more valuable than it actually is. They get testy when you start to explain why their firearm isn't worth as much as they think.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Gunshops, HA!!!!!!!!
Took an nice old English side by side shotgun into a gunshop to part ex for a nice brand new Beretta.

"ooooh", said the salesman, "Don't get any call for old S/Ss any more, no body wants them, but if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands."
"How much?" says I.
"OH I couldn't pay you anything." says he.

Sold the gun to a syndicate member for £400 and bought the Beretta from another gunshop.

Clown🤡

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just like used car salesman and junk man. Everything YOU have is worthless and everything HE has is priceless..

Gunshops, HA!!!!!!!!
Took an nice old English side by side shotgun into a gunshop to part ex for a nice brand new Beretta.

"ooooh", said the salesman, "Don't get any call for old S/Ss any more, no body wants them, but if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands."
"How much?" says I.
"OH I couldn't pay you anything." says he.

Sold the gun to a syndicate member for £400 and bought the Beretta from another gunshop.

Clown🤡

21 - 39 of 39 Posts