Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the 917VS I recently accuired. Sweet deal. Never thought much about getting one, ecept like so many others here have noticed, .17hmr is easier to find than .22lr. I came across this one on GB, fell in love with it, and thanks to Matt's gracious restraint (Thanks again mattusmc. lol) , it arrived safely to my FFL last week. Not knowing exactly what to expect since I had only pics, I was VERY pleased. Like new condition, no scratches in any of finish or metal, and not so much as a small ding in the wood. I mounted the scope last weekend (BSA Sweet .17 3x9x40 AO), bore sighted out my garage door to a knothole in a neighbors tree 85yds away, and waited ever so unpatiently for my oldest son to get here yesterday afternoon. 300 rounds of CCI 20grain FMJ came with gun, so we were ready to punch some holes. Wind is almost always a factor here, and we battled some gusty conditions, but still managed to get a pretty decent group @ 75yds. Absolutely love it! Hoping for a calm enough day soon, to test the accuracy of the turret settings of the BSA scope out to 300yd. We have some Winchester 17gr, and Hornady .17 grain to go with the CCI for comparison.

photo 1 (2).JPG photo (4) - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
709 Posts
The only draw back is the ammo is expensive...but at least you can find it...Nice rifle. I been thinking about that very same rifle but my LGS ain't interested in a Ruger 10/22 trade...

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
As much as I like Marlin's, I went with a Savage because of the heavy fluted barrel and the adjustable trigger. The new Marlin's 17's I stay away from. The 917 is a solid rifle but I get more for my money with the Savage.

James

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As much as I like Marlin's, I went with a Savage because of the heavy fluted barrel and the adjustable trigger. The new Marlin's 17's I stay away from. The 917 is a solid rifle but I get more for my money with the Savage.

James
I DO like the fluted barrels, and have seen several Savage branded rifles perform awesome, but had it not been for the Marlin name, I probabbly would have passed. I have a weakness for them. I managed to get the trigger worked over and springs changed before we shot it. Not as nice as the Savage trigger I am sure, but a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
15,433 Posts
I bought one because of the abundance of ammo available everywhere

a- Marlin 917VS nsn.JPG

·
Registered
569 Posts
.17hmr is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, crows don't stand a chance! Enjoy your rifle!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
The more you shoot the 17, the more you're gonna love it! I have a CZ military trainer (bought it one day when I was "angry" at not finding 22 anywhere while the shelves were lined with all manner of 17 HMR ammo). It is as accurate as any rimfire I've ever shot, at greater distance, and with more punch. It's just a great plinker or small game round.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a Ruger 77/17. It is one great rifle and like others have said .17 HMR is abundant.That is why I went to a .17. On this site and another I am a member on more and more people are jumping on the .17 band wagon for the same reason...ammo is available. Some say it cost more than .22? Really? When you consider what ammo flippers are charging for .22 IMHO it is about the same. Anyway...Love me some Ruger in .17 HMR.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My son has a Savage and I purchased the 917VS and there is no way I would not prefer my Marlin. The 917VS operates much smoother and the fit is way better. The Savage does have that fancy thumbhole rose colored stock though.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts

James
We had a Rifle Basic trigger installed with a 1.5# break.

We're Savage people too - got a few of'em. But their 17 is not superior to the 917V in any way except for the factory accutrigger. We have both BTW.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
We had a Rifle Basic trigger installed with a 1.5# break.

We're Savage people too - got a few of'em. But their 17 is not superior to the 917V in any way except for the factory accutrigger. We have both BTW.
How so? I do not have the 917 but I do have a 980 in stainless so it is basically the same rifle just a different caliber. I took apart the Marlin and the Savage and they are both built with the same quality. The bolt works great on both.

James

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
How so? I do not have the 917 but I do have a 980 in stainless so it is basically the same rifle just a different caliber. I took apart the Marlin and the Savage and they are both built with the same quality. The bolt works great on both.

James
Which was my point, exactly. Your original post belayed an implied superiority in favor of the Savage.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am also trying to decide between Marlin and Savage and would like to hear from others out there about your experiences and opinions. I realize they are pretty equal in price and quality so does it just come down to personal preference? Any thoughts? Also, is there any difference between a 17V and 917V?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am also trying to decide between Marlin and Savage and would like to hear from others out there about your experiences and opinions. I realize they are pretty equal in price and quality so does it just come down to personal preference? Any thoughts? Also, is there any difference between a 17V and 917V?
The only difference I know of between the 17v and 917v is the trigger group, Marlin started using the T900 bolt on trigger group instead of the old style post and pins style trigger used for years, and the 17v became the 917v.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice find. I've considered them, even the Mach II's, and seriously considered them, still am, but I've half way held out for the 17 WSM hoping they either iron out the issues with the B-MAG or others start building rifles for the round. I guess Volquartsen is developing a semi-auto for the round. Should prove interesting, and in VQ style, really expensive.

Update/Edit: It appears the Volquartsen's are available for order. Prices starting at $1875.00 up to $2108.50...I'll pass.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts