Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had an extra 336 in 30-30 taking up space in your safe and wanted something different would you rechamber it to 30-30 Ack. Imp, rebarrel it to something different, or come up with another plan to make it unique? I want something no one else at the range has...

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Either the 30-30 AI or, look around your range, anyone have a 38-55? That's a rebore, rechamber on the basic 336 30-30. So far everyone that has had it done likes em. Relined or rebarreled to 25-35 is another that is pretty scarce. DP

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
30-30AI is what I'd do. You can still fire regular 30-30, plus the uploaded stuff. Win-win IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is alot that no one will have, but which way do you want to go.
A small, light, fast caliber for range shooting and varmints?
A big, heavy, slow caliber for hitting hard? (Or, for 1,000+ yard gong shooting, if the Wind is just right ;))
A 336, but more so, like the AI you mentioned.

Then, how do you want it equiped? Synthetic stock? Perhaps some unique wood finish? Bobbed barrell?
Tacti-cool stuff? Scope? Sights? Retro (cowboy) equipment?

Do you want it specialized for some particular task?

Lots of questions.

I've lately been thinking that a 6.5 levergun would be cool. You would probably be limited to a two-shooter, though. Not that I can afford it.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
I'd just make it my own.

Other than personal gratification I see no need to stray from the original 30-30Win chambering.

Ever refinish stocks? Set one up with peeps and the other with a scope? Maybe a scout scope? Smooth the action? Polish the trigger?

I like to personalize my guns but more, I like to get inside of them and learn them. I know my guns, their quirks, subtleties, etc. It gives me confidence in them and a touch of pride.

That alone makes them far different than anything at the range.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1R said:
There is alot that no one will have, but which way do you want to go.
A small, light, fast caliber for range shooting and varmints?
A big, heavy, slow caliber for hitting hard? (Or, for 1,000+ yard gong shooting, if the Wind is just right ;))
A 336, but more so, like the AI you mentioned.

Then, how do you want it equiped? Synthetic stock? Perhaps some unique wood finish? Bobbed barrell?
Tacti-cool stuff? Scope? Sights? Retro (cowboy) equipment?

Do you want it specialized for some particular task?

Lots of questions.

I've lately been thinking that a 6.5 levergun would be cool. You would probably be limited to a two-shooter, though. Not that I can afford it.
I have seen a few browning Levers converted to 6.5x55

·
Registered
701 Posts
For my project...and I've got a beater RC with straight grip stock in the safe now.

1. Octagon barrel in 26 inch length.
2. High end wood with a checkered steel shotgun buttplate like my SHILOH SHARPS.
3. MONTANA VINTAGE ARMS tang sight and appropriate front sight.
4. A tasteful amount of engraving on the receiver and a few scrolls on the barrel.
5. TURNBULL color case harden receiver and parts; blued barrel and magazine tube.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have a 70's vintage 336 I would love to have rebarrelled to make it a octagon cowboy .30-30. I love my 38-55 cowboy and think it would be nice to have one in .30-30. Just my two cents..

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
I'd just make it my own.

Other than personal gratification I see no need to stray from the original 30-30Win chambering.

Ever refinish stocks? Set one up with peeps and the other with a scope? Maybe a scout scope? Smooth the action? Polish the trigger?

I like to personalize my guns but more, I like to get inside of them and learn them. I know my guns, their quirks, subtleties, etc. It gives me confidence in them and a touch of pride.

That alone makes them far different than anything at the range.
+1. I'v got a couple 30/30's that nobody has one like it even though their just 30/30's. Certainly you can rebarrel or rebore if you want, done that too, but its easy to make a rifle one of a kind without going that far.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I already have one that's unique, my .250 Banshee wildcat, based on the .25-35 case. If I were to do another, It might be either a 7mm on the .307 case (7mmSTE) or a 6.5mm cartidge on the .30-30 with the shoulder pushed forward a bit at a 40* angle with minimal body taper, using Hornady or Sierra 160 grainer round noses. I have other ideas, but I have to get off now to get ready for church.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would leave it and save the money on other 30-30 or 35. Can't have too many of them, Just No Way! ;D

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I would rechamber to 30-30AI. Read an article on the 30-30AI about 30 years ago. Darn near ran bullets as fast as the .307 Win does
today. I'm sure nothing was lab tested for pressure but the Win Mod 94 they used didn't go to pieces and everything "appeared" okay on
the brass and extraction. No muss no fuss on finding brass either. Article was written after the rechamber had been done and the guy
took a bunch of big game with it and ran several hundred rounds thru it.
358 Win

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a hankerin' for another 32 Special. I would like to make it a 32 Special Improved!
Or if I had a spare 336, I still like the idea of a 307.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts