Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone said you can have a brand new .22 rifle from any era in history for free, what would you pick? I am kinda odd in that I would want a Marlin 92 late model tapped for the Hepburn sight, with an octagon 24" barrel and special order case hardened frame and Special Smokeless Steel barrel (yes, they offered SSS barrels as an option on these for a time). Straight stock with steel rifle butt plate. Normal buckhorn sights would be fine for me. What would you guys pick?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll take one of the Anschutz and one of the Mini-Mausers like Tenex and Smoke 810 posted about. :roll: :shock: :lol: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Any Marlin 22 with the serial no 0000001. :lol:

Kidding aside, I like the Golden 39A that I have. :wink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wanted a 39A Mountie and I've got one. :D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Holy crap Smoke, that is one beautiful rifle. In fact it would probably be too beautiful to use. :)
I would like one of those knives as well.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
oldfart said:
I wnt a marlin lever chambered for a 30 carbine cartridge that has been necked down to 22.
I'm no gunsmith, but that sounds like it may be possible to do :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is such a cartridge and it could probably be chambered in the Marlin 62(?).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hobie said:
There is such a cartridge and it could probably be chambered in the Marlin 62(?).

Which one are you thinking of??? I was thinking a much sharper shoulder than a 22 hornet.....sort of a short, skinny 223.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hobie-

There were rumblings at one time of the model 62 being chambered in .22 Remington Jet, but I've never seen or heard of a production example... Closest would be the .256 Win cartridge...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
One cartridge that might fit here is the 5.7 MMJ - a 22/30 carbine. There were a couple varieties of this in the early 60s. I had a set of 22 Oresky dies at one time but sold them at a gun show before I ever found a barrel.

One of the parts vendors offered a barrel & dies package for 5.7 MMJ in the last couple of years, but I can't find it in my notes now. Nurmrich? Seems like it was around 250 for the kit. Trouble is that M1 carbines are getting too expensive to mess around with anymore. SW

·
Registered
251 Posts
HMMMMMM. I guess I lost track of a lot of cartridges. OK.....nevermind. How about a 50 BMG case necked down to 22. With a 1 in 58 twist the bullet might not self-destruct fired out of a 58 inch barrel.......Doc Sharptail could snap shoot field mice and humingbirds with it.......Just joking Doc, wipe that scowl off your face dang it.......Bein short armed I'm still flaberghasted about your 39A comment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts