Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is there even a scope that fits the part of a cowboy.
If there is can you post pics or send me to a website.
I know this is probably blasphemy but, I would like to scope one of the 2 45/70 CB for Elk, Deer and Bear.
The other will stay open
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Not sure if I understand which rifles are the options. If you have 2 1895CB's then we may not have any sympathy for your quandary. :)

Seriously, if you have a CB and a standard config rifle, the standard would be my choice to scope. Less barrel length being the main factor. For the distance capabilities of a 45-70 a scope in the range of a 1.5-4.5x is more than enough unless your eyes are really bad.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I don't have 2 Cowboys, but I do have 2 LTD-Vs. One wears a Williams receiver sight for range work and I put an older Leupold 4x28 scope on the other for hunting. The scope is long and lean like the rifle and looks like it belongs.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a pic and is that a leupold current offering

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have the 1895 guide gun and yes I have a 3x9 varible one it. I grew up shooting iron sights but these days beyond 50 yards I find I need a scope to see If I hit the target. I would not buy an expensive scope as .45-70 recoil can bash them up pretty good. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the 1895 guide gun and yes I have a 3x9 varible one it. I grew up shooting iron sights but these days beyond 50 yards I find I need a scope to see If I hit the target. I would not buy an expensive scope as .45-70 recoil can bash them up pretty good. Just my thoughts
I don't own a .45-70 yet but why not think about putting a shotgun scope on it? They are built to handle the heavy recoil. Nikon makes a good one you could get for under $200.

Nikon SlugHunter/Shotgun Hunter | Hunting Rifle Scopes

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Also keep in mind that you can get a lot of scope for a small amount of money these days. Getting a high quality 3 x 9 with the mm of your choice doesn't cost a fortune. If you want a lot of bells and whistles you can run up the price, but with the 30-30 and 45-70 distance capability, you don't need a lot of magficiation. AFAIK modern scopes are hemetically sealed and foggying up in damp weather is not a usual occurance.

Other more experienced opinions are always welcome!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Here's a pic of my LTD-V with the Leupold M8 4x scope. Those scopes can be found on ebay for around $100-140 and are still quite good. New FX-II models are available as well. On an 1894 or a guide gun, I'd go with a shorter scope.

Attachments

Reactions: mattusmc and Mop

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am using a Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope and it rocks for accuracy and
it's very quick to acquire a target with it.
It will handle 45-70 heavy loads all day long and has a lifetime warranty.
The cost was a bit over $300 and the Leupold low QRW rings were
$65 but the scope just works.
I thought I'd need more than 2.5x but at least I don't have to gooseneck
to clearly see the scope when I mount it.
If you need more magnification than that buy a 4x scope.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
All of my lever action rifles have a 1.5 X4 or a 1.5 X 7. Nikon, Weaver and or Leupold, all good glass best price was the determining factor when purchased.

I have glass because the eyes do not work so well these days. But I did shoot a 10/22 off hand the other day with open sites at 50 yards and managed to get 10 rounds within an 8" target. I guessed it was not to bad for poor old eyes :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My eyes aren't doing so well either. To the point where I want red dots or
lasers on my pistols.
If I'm shooting at 50 yards I might be able to hit a pie plate at that
distance. I'd rather had a dot or a fixed power scope.
My days of using variable power scopes are over.
I hate goosenecking to find the sweet spot.
A 2.5x or a 4x fixed will be good out to 150 yards no problem and deer or elk
would be DRT at that range.
Our range only goes to 150 yards. I wouldn't hunt past 200 yards anyway.
The gun/cartridge would be capable but I'm not steady enough.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would consider a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm mounted as low as physically possible.
That's what I use on my inline muzzleloader, which is essentially a single-shot .45-70, and I'd recommend it, too. It's light, which is good for a heavy-recoiling rifle, the magnification is appropriate for the caliber, it's sleek enough to not look too out of place on a lever rifle, and the quality is good. Some of the German scopes are better quality, but you pay dearly for that step up.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just my two cents. Go with a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight or the 3X, which is a special offering from SWFA. No need to worry about the .45-70 trashing either one. They are tough and if they were to break, the warranty is forever. Both have plenty of power for hunting. Not so if you are substuting the aiming device for a spotting scope at the range.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
For newer vintage rifles the scopes mentioned are about as good as you can get.
While I would never deface a nice old waffle top or earlier reciever.
However, if I find one already scoped I'd rather use the old iron than a newer microgroove gun.

I snoop around and find a surprising number of new-old-stock or like new stell ElPaso Weaver scopes at very resonable prices.
It just seems like if old iron can't go naked, it should at least wear a period correct eyepiece. And it seems these optics remain an underappreciated resource.

While good quality new scopes are certainly improvements over good 50 year old scopes, don't kid yourself... These old units were tough enough for standard issue military for a long time, and are plenty tough for civilian use. If you're worried, buy three for the price of one new mfg Loopy.

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Super Moderator
8,035 Posts
I went with the xs rail, leupold rings, and Leatherwood scout cope 2x 7 and absolutely love this set-up. I have only sited in for 125 yds and yet to go down......range the prefered gong range of 300yds just yet. but looks promising for my tired old eyes. very easy at 2-3 power to get rifle on target with both eyes open.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts