Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got what I assume to be a decent deal on a 1894cb in .357. I was told it's a JM and all that but when I do some poking around on the internet I start to wonder.
For one, the JM stamp looks like a mis-strike. It definitely does not look like it could say REP. The address is in North Haven. The serial number begins with 91, which suggests 2009 build which would be after the buyout, but I read a bit here and there suggesting they still finished up making them with the JM equipment... or some such...

I paid $700. It has some smithing work done to it. The action is very smooth and the trigger is featherweight to pull. I just bought it though so I haven't been able to range test it yet.

Anyone here have any insights on this rifle based on what I've said and this image of the stamp?

IMG_3063.JPG

FYI, I was just going for a good brush hunting rifle. I'm not like a die hard collector or anything. But should I feel I need to go with another lever action rifle I'd like to know whether or not attempting to sell this one would result in buyers running for the hills when they hear about the manufacture date or the questionable stamp.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
The proof mark is hand stamped, so often is not real sharp.
Sound like a fair price on a neat rifle, have fun!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
32,827 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

My triple 4 JM is even worse then yours! it's a 2007 model.

ca'jun56

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!
Most of my JM Marlins have off center JM strikes. My 24" .357 CB is my favorite to shoot, but for walking around the brush, the '94C with it's 18" bbl works better, lighter & you don't scratch up a more valuable Cowboy Silhouette rifle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@cajun56 - is there something wrong with 2007 models? Or yours in particular?

@Mavrik - Yeah, I've heard the stamps aren't consistent but at least yours is recognizable. Mine is so hard to read it practically looks like damage from the brush itself.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let you all know how it shoots when it gets range time. The rifle is clearly used but in a good way. Lots of handling evidence, the loading gate looks like it was positively someone's hunting rifle. Safe guns dont tend to look so broken in. Scratches on the right spots. The smithing work is legitimate so it doesn't seem like someone panicked and tried to have a smith iron out some remlin crumminess. The thought had crossed my mind, but if that were the case the smithing would probably be more than the value of the gun. Plus, it smells like gun oil and powder, not dust and rust.

... cuase you know, I'm just sitting around smelling a cowboy rifle ...

Hey though, I already butt stocked a cricket with it. That there's chicken food! I'm not counting it as a kill for the marlin but hey, someone got to eat because of this rifle so in some way it's doing its job. That's about all I was hoping for but ideally for on a more human level.

·
Super Moderator
16,722 Posts
I believe ol Cajun was talking about the JM stamp and not the rifle... His triple 4 has a horrid JM stamp...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Heck, looks like your good to go. I have Marlins dating to the late 19th century and many have pretty light and/or off center strikes. Looks like you got one of the last of the good ones, be happy with it and shoot it!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Yep you got one of the 'last of the mohicans' as they say.No remlin there.If the serial number started with rem you would have a problem.I hope you have plenty ammo for it because you will need it.What length barrel does it have?How aout pictures of the whole rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a 20 inch barrel.

Here's a bunch of images showing some of the wear on the stock and minor metal scuffing. I'd guess from a rack since it's only on one side but who knows. I would barely call any of this actual "wear" as in general it has a pretty clean luster and very little markings on the receiver or barrel. The wear on the gate and lever suggest to me that it was used a lot more than the occasional plinking session, which is good, I think. Broken in, well cared for, however one wants to look at it. The indications of use, to me, suggested it was a true thing before the remlin storm happened and all your responses here seem to support that notion. Thanks again. I'll report some more when I can properly range test it.

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3065.JPG IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3067.JPG IMG_3069.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone still watching this, I took it to the range to give it a test run with 50 .38 special and 50 .357 magnum (I forget which brand and weights as these were just the convenient boxes off the shelf of my friend's gun shop. We call it range ammo, quick and easy). The .38 specials occasionally failed to feed correctly, which is briefly covered elsewhere on these forums so I am not worried about that. A little adjusting may just smooth that out.

Honestly, after shooting both, I am not sure I will need to run .38 through this at all so in some way problem solved. If my wife said the recoil is negligible between the two, then I kind of figure for my needs the .38 is just optional fun at the range and not necessary for the brush. I am ok with that.

That all being said - what an awesome rifle! I personally love the sights, and am a die hard iron sight shooter myself. At 100 yards it was more me than the rifle and our goofy spotting optic. I am still not sure how I did there but anything sub 50 was dead on bullseye every time. If it were legal I could take off a turkey's neck at 50 yards and with a little practice, I bet 100 is not out of the scope of reality. How I wish, huh? Turkey hunting with the Marlin... I'll save that for the apocalypse when laws are gone. Or just go to Florida.

The action and trigger are every bit as smooth as one would expect after smithing. You could operate both with a plastic straw... maybe an exaggeration. But no exaggeration, once the target is lined up, the trigger pull is so light it doesn't move a millimeter when pulled. I'd have to compare to an out of the box marlin to really know, but the ones I've messed with in the shop are definitely not this smooth.

All in all, after all your input and the range test, I am confident this is not a lemon. A solid steal at $700 and will positively stay with me forever.

Just out of curiosity though... when in any actual hunting situation would you use .38 special over .357 magnum? Even if I'm going for squirrels, the precision I find in the sights are beyond adequate for head shots. I have no fear of accidentally turning a critter into dust at 50 yards. And since this is pretty much a 100 yard max companion for me, I don't know when .38 is ideal. I'm not a seasoned veteran though. This may be a foolish question.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mostly the 38's get used in cowboy action shooting. The absolute minimum of recoil lets you recover the sight picture faster.
For hunting if you want a light load just use 357 cases This way the length is not an issue.
Leo

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
Damn nice looking rifle and score IMO! The dents and such are minor, typical of seeing some use. And I have a JM 336 in .30-30 that has a poorly struck JM stamp, certainly not uncommon.

I used to be a lathe operator in a mfg plant, and we were all issued a stamp to mark our parts with, so they could tell who made them. Sometimes you don't hit the stamp just right, bad strikes happen.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
For anyone still watching this, I took it to the range to give it a test run with 50 .38 special and 50 .357 magnum (I forget which brand and weights as these were just the convenient boxes off the shelf of my friend's gun shop. We call it range ammo, quick and easy). The .38 specials occasionally failed to feed correctly, which is briefly covered elsewhere on these forums so I am not worried about that. A little adjusting may just smooth that out.

Honestly, after shooting both, I am not sure I will need to run .38 through this at all so in some way problem solved. If my wife said the recoil is negligible between the two, then I kind of figure for my needs the .38 is just optional fun at the range and not necessary for the brush. I am ok with that.

That all being said - what an awesome rifle! I personally love the sights, and am a die hard iron sight shooter myself. At 100 yards it was more me than the rifle and our goofy spotting optic. I am still not sure how I did there but anything sub 50 was dead on bullseye every time. If it were legal I could take off a turkey's neck at 50 yards and with a little practice, I bet 100 is not out of the scope of reality. How I wish, huh? Turkey hunting with the Marlin... I'll save that for the apocalypse when laws are gone. Or just go to Florida.

The action and trigger are every bit as smooth as one would expect after smithing. You could operate both with a plastic straw... maybe an exaggeration. But no exaggeration, once the target is lined up, the trigger pull is so light it doesn't move a millimeter when pulled. I'd have to compare to an out of the box marlin to really know, but the ones I've messed with in the shop are definitely not this smooth.

All in all, after all your input and the range test, I am confident this is not a lemon. A solid steal at $700 and will positively stay with me forever.

Just out of curiosity though... when in any actual hunting situation would you use .38 special over .357 magnum? Even if I'm going for squirrels, the precision I find in the sights are beyond adequate for head shots. I have no fear of accidentally turning a critter into dust at 50 yards. And since this is pretty much a 100 yard max companion for me, I don't know when .38 is ideal. I'm not a seasoned veteran though. This may be a foolish question.
I never ever fire .38/44 specials in my Marlins. You can get a carbon build up in the chamber and must clean it well before putting a full length cartridge in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts