Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
I would doubt it. The only .22 that seems to have it is the 39A. There is no JM on any of my 88,98,57M. And these were made between 1954-1967.
The only guns of mine that have it, are the larger caliber guns. It isn't on my lever .410 but, I have seen it on some 20ga and 12ga shotguns.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Checked out my 2008 308MXLR it has a "M" stamp on the barrel only. I think it stands for Marlington.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
My 338MX has a stamp that looks like the stamper was broke. Does anyone know if Marlin stamps rifles that were repaired in their shop?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
308/338 said:
My 338MX has a stamp that looks like the stamper was broke. Does anyone know if Marlin stamps rifles that were repaired in their shop?
There was no stamp for repaired rifles. Unfortunately the rifles were pushed thru the shooting range just like they were pushed thru assembly. The proofer did not have the time to square up the stamp like they used to have. Some times you got the full stamp, some times it would just look like a mark.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
All my Marlin's have the JM on the left side, but my 336 rc 35 remington has the JM on the right side.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
All of my Marlins have a JM on the left side of the barrel. One 1894fg- 2007 mfg, one 1894cl, one 39a- 2009 mfg, one 882ss. Each one has a little different style of font.

I am glad I didn't wait any longer to get Marlinitis than I did. I would have been real let down if I had started recently.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
I took my 1972 M 444S out of the safe to change the see thru rings to a weaver style base and detachable rings. I looked for the JM stamp and it was beautifully stamp with a oval circle around it fading at the bottom. This rifle will be a hard one to sell more now than before. When I first purchased it I showed it to my brother John. He shoulder it and said nice rifle then hand it back to me. My brother's hands was on this M 444S this has a special meaning to me because he is no longer with us. Couple this with NH CT. Marlin no longer being made and a great looking JM circled stamp, well what could I say.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Well it's done. See thru rings off. Put B square weaver style base NIB KWIK-SITE silver rings NIB that I found in my box of thing and a Weaver shotgun scope 4X32 NIB that I bought from www.natchezss.com special buy offer. I lapped the rings and bore sighted the scope. I do believe I have about 50 to 80 rounds I loaded a while back, time to smoke them.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
I Went to the indoor range because the wind was about 40 mph. at times. Not good for outdoor fun. These pictures are today's targets shot at 25 yards with my M 444s mounted with the Weaver 4X32 shotgun scope, bore sighted only. I had a box of hand loads loaded in 1994. ingredients were rem. case, CCI 200, H322, (52gr.) Hdy. 265 gr.FN.

I'm really happy with my 1972 M 444S and the Weaver shotgun 4X32 scope. The scope is bright in the dim indoor lighting and the Dual-X Reticle glows in low light. I love the eye relief too. This rifle really likes those hdy. 265 gr.FN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently picked up a 336 in 35 rem. After reading this thread I made sure the JM proof mark was on the barrel before I purchased it! Thanks for the great info! I have skinner sights ordered and can't wait to whack a deer with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Question: I pulled out my new SBL last night and looked for proof marks. There is nothing on the right side. However, on the left side there is no "JM" or a "M." Instead I have a "U" shaped mark and a straight line similar to an "l" My question is this: what do I have or is the "JM" incomplete or wrong?

Thanks for any input in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Just a bad job of stamping I would guess. Some of mine have strange looking proof marks that I can't hardly make out that were suppose to be JM. I would think the one you have should be JM too.

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Just got a Cabela's add today the is a Marlin 20" 1894 round barrel in 45LC,44 mag, .357. The 45LC is supposed to be exclusive to Cabelas.

I wonder how made those?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had to look at my rifles, right, left? My "New Haven" marked rifles are stamped JM on the right, they are all 1953 or older. All my "North Haven" rifles have JM on the left side. The 39m made in 1980 has the JM proof on the left also. This post gave me a good reason to pull them all out and give them the once over. Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all...first post ;D

just picked up a 336BL
THEN read this thread....anyway I could tell by the serial number???
I do not have it in hand yet...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Not sure yet if Remington will keep Marlin's serial numbering or if they'll start numbering them their way. Until we start seeing Remington built Marlins out there, it's hard to say how they'll be.

Reactions: tnpaw

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Donkismash said:
Hello all...first post ;D

just picked up a 336BL
THEN read this thread....anyway I could tell by the serial number???
I do not have it in hand yet...
The last actual Marlin's came off the line,with a 91 prefix for 2009 and a 90 prefix for 2010 with a total of 8 digit's in the serial number.

But as 44-40 Willy said, not sure what Rem. is going to do. And I haven't looked at a new Rem. for years, so I am not sure what Rem's Ser# look like
or will look like.

41 - 60 of 204 Posts