Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,322 Posts
Rowdy said:
Thank You Bobby :) for clearing this up.
Yeah, AMEN! Thought I was really "feeling my age" for a moment.
Thanks, Bobby!

Jeff
NRA Life
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,672 Posts
Thanks for the gouge. I'll add that little tidbit to the Marlin 101 file.

Edited to add:

Just added this note at the top of the 101 file

Note: Remington moved the Marlin factory from New Haven CT to Ilion NY in Sept 2010. Only Marlins made in the New Haven factory will the the JM in a circle proofmark on the left side of the barrel. The newer Remington made Marlins will carry a Remington proofmark on the right side of the barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Thanks for the gouge. I'll add that little tidbit to the Marlin 101 file.

Edited to add:

Just added this note at the top of the 101 file

Note: Remington moved the Marlin factory from New Haven CT to Ilion NY in Sept 2010. Only Marlins made in the New Haven factory will the the JM in a circle proofmark on the left side of the barrel. The newer Remington made Marlins will carry a Remington proofmark on the right side of the barrel.
Shouldn't that be the North Haven factory? The New Haven plant closed before a lot of the guys here were born. I applied for a job
at the original plant in New Haven back in the early 60's. It was like stepping back into the beginning of the century (20th, that is, for you youngsters)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
mr fixit said:
No George................It's Remlin!!

Let's get it straight.......If is going to be anything it has to be a Marlington (giving honor where honor is due)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ottojara

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
I'm thanking more of the lines of Remarlin but I like Marlington better.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,212 Posts
You fellas can have the new fangled Remlins or Marlingtons............I'm with GeorgeKY I'll take Marlin complete with the proof mark. Thanks!! :) Mr fixit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
georgeky said:
Remlin was taking shortcuts and could only stamp M's on some of them. hehehehehehehe!

Just kidding a bit. Is likely just a poor job of stamping by a Remlin trainee.
Hey George,

Oh My Goodness,, I only got 1/2 a Real Marlin,, and here's the Proof!!!! :'(



Before I found out,, that I only had 1/2 a Real Gun,, I put a Real Gun Sling on it ~ Check out My 39A's Montana Sling!!! Ain't She All Dressed UP!!! Love Them Montana Sling's!!!

http://montanagunslings.com/



I'm not giving up on My 39A though,, just yet,, I got some more Ammo to try in it,, in an effort to try and get it to shoot as well as My Henry Frontier,
Joe :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
mr fixit said:
You fellas can have the new fangled Remlins or Marlingtons............I'm with GeorgeKY I'll take Marlin complete with the proof mark. Thanks!! :) Mr fixit
I wish Marlin would stay in North Haven Connecticut but the reality is it's gone. In time all the JM or J or M marked barrel will be collectors item and the price will be unacceptable to the pure hunter. The shelves are empty and the racks in the gun shops only have a few new Marlins here and there. The new hunter will have a choice of the NY made Marlin, Mossberg, Henry, Rossi etc. This reminds me of a song " If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with".
 
  • Like
Reactions: whiskers

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,522 Posts
308/338 said:
I wish Marlin would stay in North Haven Connecticut but the reality is it's 8) gone. In time all the JM or J or M marked barrel be will collectors item and the price will be unacceptable to the pure hunter. The shelves or empty and the racks in the gun shops only have a few new Marlins here and there. The new hunter will have a choice of the NY made Marlin, Mossberg, Henry, Rossi etc. This reminds me of a song " If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with".
308/338,

I guess I'll go along your analogy...........I don't see any other solution, either...............North Haven guns will become rather collectible,.............. but I'll still hunt them............After all, Who am I saving them for??
As for the new shooters and hunters coming of age.............well, decisions will need to be made.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
Look at the mark real close and there is a very faint line on the left side of the "M" from the J. He had the stamp cocked a little and did not get the whole stamp on it. Maybe was having a bad day or had a TALL COOL ONE at lunch and wasn't seeing too straight! That PROOF MARK is done by HAND not Machine so they do vary. Neither of my proof marks are perfect as you can see in my post earlier in this string.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
Tomray said:
308/338,

I guess I'll go along your analogy...........I don't see any other solution, either...............North Haven guns will become rather collectible,.............. but I'll still hunt them............After all, Who am I saving them for??
As for the new shooters and hunters coming of age.............well, decisions will need to be made.

Tom
And I'll hunt them too. In that respect we think the same. I never bought a rifle to hang on the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Look at the mark real close and there is a very faint line on the left side of the "M" from the J. He had the stamp cocked a little and did not get the whole stamp on it. Maybe was having a bad day or had a TALL COOL ONE at lunch and wasn't seeing too straight! That PROOF MARK is done by HAND not Machine so they do vary. Neither of my proof marks are perfect as you can see in my post earlier in this string.
GolfBuddy, George, & Gang,

You and George ,, I believe are correct,, as you can see that the "M",, is indented more on the Right than the Left.

However,, they may have just Ran out of "J's",, or since they knew that the Marlin Plant was closeing,, just decided to only put an "M" on mine ;D
Joe :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,138 Posts
Just took a look at some of my Marlins. I am assuming that the proof mark was only put on high power guns except for the 39's. The to Model 60 Deluxe's
don't have a mark, nor do the 2 Model 88 and the one 98 .22 semi don't have one. And the ,410 lever 1895 that I got from Cabela's doesn't have one.

Another interesting note. I thought I read that the "BO" first NEW MODEL 1895 had barrels made by someone else. Mine Ser# BO004xxx has the JM on the barrel.
Is it possible that some don't ?

Also when did they start putting it on the guns? My 1935 model 93 also do not have one. Or maybe it is in a different location.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,672 Posts
Wow, never noticed the roll stamp on the 1894s around here have North Haven, not New Haven. I'll fix that in the file.

Just for the heck of it (and always looking for an excuse to fondle a Marlin), I double checked the proofmarks on ours. Mrs Willy's 1894C made in 1982 has a full JM inside of a circle. My 1894D CCL made in 2000 has a full JM with about half of the circle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
All my Marlins have the JM stamp on the barrel left side rear, except my 925 and 983. Does that mean the 925 & 983 were made in one of new Remington plants? Thank you.
 
21 - 40 of 204 Posts
Top