Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got an early Father's day gift.
Used Marlin lever action.
Fantastic shape, scope, leather sling
$120.00
Blueing is slightly worn were the barrel rubbed the inside of a rifle case.
No pitting or scratches anywhere. stock has no dents or scratches.

Instant love.
I do have one problem.
I am guessing that there are models that I'm not familar with because this rifle doesn't match anything I can find reference too and I am hoping someone here has the answer.

Serial number is 18xxxxxx which (unless I'm wrong) indicates a manufator date of 1984.

It is stamped with "micro grove" and "Model 336". However it has black walnut, uncheckered "straight grip" stocks, It looks just like a "cowboy" model but without the octagon barrel.

Have the original stocks been removed? No, the lever is built for a straight stock....hmmmmm.
Is there a model 336 that comes with straight grips that doesn't have the "cowboy" model barrel?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
First Erase all the serial number but the first two.. no one needs to know the other part ... just put xxxxxx

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
year looks like 82 to me not 84.. I can't find anything on the specifics of your rifle.. But I am sure someone will post info for you soon..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you have an original it is odd that it would be a straight grip manufactured in the 1980's. The latest straight grips that I am aware of (excluding special runs) were made in the mid 1970's. But in trying to figure out Marlin's formula for straight grips I am stumpped.

Marlin manufactured straight grips with no apparant model description, in no apparent pattern nor time frame. So it is indeed possible that yours is original, or it is indeed possible that someone could have done a retro fit and installed a straight stock and lower tang.

Most of the straight grips have descriptive nomenclature lettering such as 336 "RC" (regular carbine) but some, as yours, simply state 336.

I haven't answered your question, however a perspective is helpful just to ponder if nothing else.

Perhaps someone else can be more helpful.

SS

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
There are a lot of rifles out there that folks have changed over from one to the other (pistol grip - straigh) if you look down in the reference section you will see the instructions on how it is done. Myself I prefer the straight grip for looks but the pistol grip on the larger bores seems to be a little easier on the shoulder for recoil. On a thirty-thirty either one is great. I can't find anything on any special runs that would have been a straight grip that year, perhaps someone else might. If you decide you want to change it to pistol grip, put a post on here I am sure several folks would swap parts in a heart beat. (I wouldn't change it.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no. I love it just the way it is. I'll try to get a few pictures on here soon but I like the straight grip. If it was a change out from the original configuration it was done quite well. My only complaint, well not really a complaint is that the original owner had someone who seems to be quite talented carve a design on the stock. It looks to be a stylized set of initials "HN" right at the straight portion of the stock, both sides. I could live without it but it gives it a unique quality.
Nope, i will keep it just as it is.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
If you would like replacement stocks you can find them for sure.. Shum8 is our resident guru on stockmaking and member here on the forum..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I support leaving it as is. The initials, by some, would detract but you got it for $120, you did very well.

Shoot it and enjoy for many years.

SS

·
Registered
326 Posts
Even w/ the initials carved into it!

I agree, leave it as is! $120 for what you got is a steal! Enjoy it in good health!
BB
:wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts
336, barrel unmarked?

Crossbolt safety?

It could have been modified from a pistol grip, by swapping the stock, trigger plate and lever...

There was a short run of of a carbine version called the 336LTS, it's a
16-1/2" barrel and straight grip stock...

What's actually most likely?
Someone had an early 1895 and wanted a pistol grip stock
to make it easier to control, got a generic walnut stock 336 and swapped
the parts. you got the "leftovers"

AllanD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not safety at all. Barrel is marked "micro groove" AND "model 336", that's all.
I like it the way it is so if it's "leftovers" I'll take it.
Thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can read through all the stuff in Reference Thread. on Dating a Marlin you may just find the answer there.. but pre cross bolt and straight stock is a keeper for sure.. if it was me I would call marlin and get marlin replacement sites make it as origional as possible..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong , but didn't Marlin produced a straight grip .30-30 for the Kmat chain? I can't remember what the model number was. "TK" comes to mind. I am not sure of the years it was offered but it seems to me it was the mid-'80's. I know someone here could verify this. Just an after thought.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
K Mart here sold one that looked like maple wood.. was model 30as I think..

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
The one sold by KMART was the Model 30TK 18 1/2" barrel and I think they came with a birch stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts