Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any help you could give me in identifying my grandpas 22 cal. lever action rifle. It's hard to read the serial #. It looks to be 339170. My father doesn't think it came with the back sight but I thought that it might have. Anything you can tell me about ths gun would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Remove the rear tang sight, it will have the model number under it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Welcome to MO.

It is most likely a Model 1897 or 97.

DD

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That is only the 2nd Beech Combination Front Sight I have seen on a Marlin...

I have one just like it on a Model 1893 circa 1912...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Either way...it's a beaut!! And welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Austringer1

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice rifle, happy shootin'.

Reactions: Austringer1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. Under the back sight it says model 97. the serial # came up as being made in 1906. Do you think that it came with all 3 sights on it? My brother and I are getting ready to go out and do some target practice.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Hard to say about the sight. They were available through the factory at the time. See if you Grandfather has his original recipe.:) About the only way, is if the casehardend finich is colorful and vivid, under the rear sight. If so maybe factory,or soon after. If the colors are dull, or no longer there, then, it was sometime after.

·
Premium Member
16,509 Posts
Hey Austringer,

Welcome to MO.

Way to go, pic of "Grandpa's" rifle..........on first post!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quite possible the gun came with all three sights, but even factory records would not give that info. You might look on the base of the sight for the sight numbers. If you post them we can tell you if they are at least the correct numbers for this model rifle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would appreciate any help you could give me in identifying my grandpas 22 cal. lever action rifle. It's hard to read the serial #. It looks to be 339170. My father doesn't think it came with the back sight but I thought that it might have. Anything you can tell me about ths gun would be much appreciated.
That rear sight is known as a Tang Sight and it alone might be worth well over $100! I have one mounted on my 1881 40-60 Marlin and they are much more accurate than the open sights! Good luck, Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts