Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Looking at picking up a lighter weight 30-30 for my girlfriend for deerhunting out here in Oregon. My current thoughts are either a new 336Y or a used 30TK.

My questions:
* Are the new 336Y's still buggy???
* How difficult would it be to find a replacement buttstock for a 30TK so I could cut it down to her length?
-- Or would it be better to find a NOS 336Y stock with the recoil pad & shape it/refinish it?
-- Should I just go ahead & cut down the original stock and add a new recoil pad?
* What's a good price for 30TK??

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Just a thought. Don't by your girlfriend a rifle.

Let her pick out a rifle and buy it for her. Would you buy her a $500 purse or shoes knowing that of it dozent fit or she doesn't like it she can't return it? Go to the store with her and be supportive of her. Let her shoot all your guns plus some buddy's guns. Let her "invest" in the decision and own it. That way you have a shooting partner.

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
The link Golphin put up is a beauty... BUT, in my personal experience, I have to agree with Mike, let her pick it out. I now own 2 handguns because I bought them for her and she didn't like either one. She went out and bought her own...

HEY, wait a minute. Maybe I ought to go out and get her an 1895. I think she might just like a 45-70.... Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha ....... :flute:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Idea... =)

Only issue i see is the length of pull of my existing rifles (I'm a 40" sleeve shirt man, while my GF is a bit shorter). I may pickup the 30tk for myself, just because it will make a nice blacktail rifle... but wanted to get an objective opinion from the group! Thanks!!

Let her pick out a rifle and buy it for her. Would you buy her a $500 purse or shoes knowing that of it dozent fit or she doesn't like it she can't return it? Go to the store with her and be supportive of her. Let her shoot all your guns plus some buddy's guns. Let her "invest" in the decision and own it. That way you have a shooting partner.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I would let her try out a 336Y to see if she likes it. Test it to fit and see she is receptive to a rifle of that size and configuration. She might even like something else--several companies have bolt action rifles with downsized stocks--possibly a 243 Win might speak to her? I wouldn't buy her a new 336Y. Since I have a 30TK--I am very prejudiced towards that model--and its a JM of course.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Ha! Two edged sword here for sure! I had the same dilemma you are going through with my wife, who was NOT a shooter. I thought of buying a revolver FOR her (since she likes those...less complicated than a pistol), but instead, took her with me to a LGS...a big one...with a HUGE selection of revolvers. So...here's the big "edge" of the sword I'm talking about....I let her pick out the revolver she liked the best, was most comfortable etc. etc. etc. what does she pick? A Chiappa Rhino....which is fine, except like you I thought a $500 budget would be WAY more than enough....no...she picked the most expensive revolver in the shop....over $1000....so...be very very careful!
On the plus side, she loves that revolver and is very good with it...but....dang! Glad I didn't turn her loose in a jewelry store!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Well, think about it this way. Do you want her saving your butt with a $200 revolver or a $1,000 one? Personally I feel really good knowing that should my wife need to pull her gun and shoot someone that gun is going to work. I feel better knowing she has professional training, confidence and skill to use that gun effectively.

Truth be told she can pickup and run just about any gun she is likely to find.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I forgot to add that the original 336Ys were made around 2003-2004 (?). I might be a year or two off but they were made in the early 2000s--so they are JMs. If your girlfriend likes the new 336Y--possibly you can find a JM 336Y. The downside is they can be hard to find and are priced like a JM.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Mikewood is correct. You need to know a Remington Mountain 30-06 with a supercell R3 pad kicks less than a Marlin 30-30. You need to know a Win 94 30-30 kicks more than a Marlin.

Its a very subjective subject.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My wife bought her own, she tried out the Marlins and Remlins and then tried out the
Browning BLR's and said I want this one It was a Browning BLR takedown in .308
Real slick out of the box and damn accurate with 180 grain bullets.
My only real gripe with it is that it's not stainless but they didn't have any.
Cost was up there but acceptable.

I NEVER let her pick out pistols or revolvers. She always picks the top end stuff.
She never looks at price first. She'll try out the trigger and if it's not awesome
or tuned out of the box she'll dismiss it just like that.

Women need to understand that while it's great to have a match tuned pistol.
It's not much good if it's not brutally reliable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
my 2 cents
I have sold a ton of guns to guys trying to buy there wife/girlfriend/daughter a gun
BEST advice is let them hold as many guns as they can, if they don't enjoy what they get they won;t want to be in the sport long
IF they don't know much about guns, they won't know the difference maybe in high end guns or a good trigger, THAT is where your in put can help
BUT number one issue should be fit
and something MANY folks don't think about cause ods are there men and have bigger hands
just cutting down a butt stock, doesn't always help a woman,girl out(smaller framed boys and men too)
as many times its the distance from the pictol grip to the trigger that is there problem area
SOME, NOT ALL, so called wonam's or youth guns, still all have same grip to trigger distance
meaning small hand can struggle still on trigger controls, even you you trim the hell out of the butt stock
that is WHY< I strongly suggest you have them hold guns and eally see how things fit
a happy woman with a gun that fits here, EVEN if it costs a little more up front, can many times be the difference in her wanting to stick with the sport or NOT, same as in recoil too, less is always better for the new one's
as think about it, if you buy her full hunting gear, then a gun , and she dis likes that gun, and then wants to NOT shoot or hunt,
you wasted a LOT of $$$
now maybe if you bought that gun that costs a little more and fit her she will be a great hunting partner for yrs
HUMM< then again, all them hunting trips can get costly too, and HUMM so much for saving any more
and a better end gun will re sell faster many times too, or go up in value better than a dime a dozen gun
so there an be pro's anc con's to buying that gun for her!
best let her pick one that fits her best I say, just don't takle her to a custom builter to get fitted for a full blown custom rifle, unless you want to spend that much!
I have known a few guys that spent a boat load on a custom gun to fit there woman like a glove, and all parties were super happy and spent and still spending time together on world class hunting adventures, they had the coin, sure, but I know that gun fitting made her enjoy it a lot more, and maybe even the fact she knew he had it made for her, helped in other area's too LOL

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My wife likes expensive full size 1911's. She has small hands but can still hit a
12 gauge shotgun hull at 30 feet with one!
Problem is she is so tiny that it's hard for her to conceal anything.
She's a real good shot but that doesn't help if you can't carry it with you
or if the gun isn't 100% reliable.
She pretty much has to carry off body or use a shoulder rig, not fun to
wear at the beach.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts

Couldn't have said that one better myself... Very good advice!!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had a similar idea for my daughter a year or so ago. We were in need of a shorter lever gun.

The 30TK was a no-go due to the straight stock, she desired a "curled stock" (aka pistol grip).

We looked at some newer 336Y, but she did not like the birch wood stocks. I personally thought the Remlin stock was poorly fitted, I'm under the impression they are better now.

In the end, last year we made ourselves a project gun. Something that would fit her shorter length of pull AND something she had a hand in picking out some of the bits and pieces. It started out a 336CS with almost perfect bluing, but had a severely dinged up stock. My daughter picked out the youth Ramline synthetic stock set, a smaller more compact scope and a black/pink sling for the added "girl" touch.

This was our post from last year, http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/124705-project-gun-my-11yr-daughter.html#post1483808

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

P.S. She also helps daddy when we reload her own personal low recoil loads. Her low recoil loads were also listed on last years post.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Lots of good advice here, especially the suggestion that she needs to feel comfortable carrying, pointing, and pulling the trigger.

On that topic, there isn't a lot of difference between the 336Y and the TK except for the length and shape of the stock. She may like the straight grip better than the pistol grip, or it could be the other way around. That alone is likely to make or break the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
13,977 Posts
My wife likes driving Challenger RT and playing slot machines and black jack. She has not idea how to operate a gun and that is fine with me. I can not think of anything she would ever shoot with a gun other than me. So I am and she is, fine with her not caring about or knowing about guns or how they operate. She does have girl friends that are well armed and know how to use what they have but she has never cared about it and I am fine with that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know the trend is to make lighter and lighter rifles. However, the weight of a rifle is a major factor in punishment received in recoil. Might want to keep a little more weight even in the .30-30. The win 94 has more recoil than a Marlin 336 because the Marlin is some heavier by about a pound and a quarter. So the advice to let her shoot some guns before she makes her pick is good advice. Recoil is tougher on the girls. Less upper body muscle mass and less overall weight to help absorb it. Yet I know women who can handle the .375 H&H in a 10lb rifle because the heavier gun slows it down.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Whatever rifle you end up getting her ( or she picks out herself) get her one of those Past Recoil shields made for women to start with. As she becomes more proficient, she will learn how to handle the recoil and then she won't get beat up and flinch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great advice.... i agree that Fit is the #1 issue.

thanks!!

BUT number one issue should be fit
and something MANY folks don't think about cause ods are there men and have bigger hands
just cutting down a butt stock, doesn't always help a woman,girl out(smaller framed boys and men too)
as many times its the distance from the pictol grip to the trigger that is there problem area
SOME, NOT ALL, so called wonam's or youth guns, still all have same grip to trigger distance
meaning small hand can struggle still on trigger controls, even you you trim the hell out of the butt stock
that is WHY< I strongly suggest you have them hold guns and eally see how things fit
a happy woman with a gun that fits here, EVEN if it costs a little more up front, can many times be the difference in her wanting to stick with the sport or NOT, same as in recoil too, less is always better for the new one's
as think about it, if you buy her full hunting gear, then a gun , and she dis likes that gun, and then wants to NOT shoot or hunt,
you wasted a LOT of $$$
now maybe if you bought that gun that costs a little more and fit her she will be a great hunting partner for yrs
HUMM< then again, all them hunting trips can get costly too, and HUMM so much for saving any more
and a better end gun will re sell faster many times too, or go up in value better than a dime a dozen gun
so there an be pro's anc con's to buying that gun for her!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.