Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to load some rounds for a new to me 1894C. Have a ton of .357 and .38 spec. brass and load for S&W Revolvers but never for a carbine. So looking for ideas on bullet weight. Thinking maybe some Beartooth B 173GR. Maybe some heavier jacketed. Or something I don't have to wait for 4 months to get. And what source to find them. Midwayusa has some but you don't get to pick diameter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In my 1894CS from the 80's with a microgroove barrel I get slightly better accuracy with a 180 gr cast bullet than I do with anything lighter. 158's are very close in accuracy but the 180's have a very small edge.

In my 2018 1894C I get very good accuracy with 158's and 125's. But I confess that I haven't had it long enough to really wring it out and see what it likes.

Steve in N CA

·
Registered
191 Posts
The "UnOffical" Marlin Owners .357 load is 16.2 grains of Hodgon Lil Gun under a jacketed 158 gr bullet. I use the Hornady 158 XTP-FP my self and CCI #550 Primers, .357 Mag Starline Brass, 1.580" COAL. This load is in the 1750 FPS range from my Italian Win 92 Trapper Clone. MAX book load of Lil Gun and a 158 Grain Jacketed bullets is 18 Grains. Many guys report going higher, and get away with it, but I'm old and not bold........

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/94532-357-loads-needed-w-li-gun.html

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/27395-hodgdon-h110-lil-gun-357-a.html

I would go to a cast 170-180 grain GC bullet and a lower charge of Lil Gun if I was after heavier game than punching paper and steel poppers. IMHO and YMMV.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6338

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-ch-38-357-170-gr-lbt-RNFP-per-100-in-plastic-ammo-box.html

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/ind...=CP38180&sid=9y4my175oz1o779f476j7952v7lgav54

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm?category=17&id

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
158 grain bullets are sort of the 'standard' but I would try starting with the heaviest bullet the gun will feed. The twist rate is fast enough to stabilize even the heaviest bullets and the only issues I have ran into is when the bullet is too long to feed through the action. I have some 195 grain and 200 grain 38 loads that work in my other 357 rifles but they are too long for a Marlin action.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have found the factory Hornady 140 gr "gummy tip" to be really accurate in my 1894C. I haven't shot anything heavier but I would definitely go as "heavy" as could be safely chambered and within specs for four legged game. I have shot the 140 Hornady rounds out to 100yd on paper. They are impressive. I got these to utilize with my S&W M66. The M66 really liked the 140 grain WW "Silvertips" and had flash suppressed propellant. Supposedly the Hornady .357 is the same for flash suppression but I cannot confirm yet on that. The 140s are better than the factory 110 JHPs for accuracy and probably still have more energy on the threat.

I would definitely go with the heaviest bullet that is within published specifications for hunting. I know there were some 180 grain loads listed but when you start seating the bullet deeper and cutting case capacity for propellant down--there is a definite regression for the attempt.

The "Hammer of Thor" has limitations for accuracy and safety for you and others. This is still a fantastic and viable round for self defense and hunting within loading specifications.

My 2Cents worth.

JXR

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Right now I'm shooting the 158-grain Hornady XTP flat point pushed by 16.5 grains of H110 (Starline brass and CCI #550 primers). This load chronys at 1,785 fps out if my 1894C.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Want to load some rounds for a new to me 1894C. Have a ton of .357 and .38 spec. brass and load for S&W Revolvers but never for a carbine. So looking for ideas on bullet weight. Thinking maybe some Beartooth B 173GR. Maybe some heavier jacketed. Or something I don't have to wait for 4 months to get. And what source to find them. Midwayusa has some but you don't get to pick diameter.
44 OG,

As you know, each rifle is different. I shoot 125 - 190 gr bullets. Depending on what you are shooting, game, targets, silhouetts, or plinking you may want more than one load.

Midway has everything you need. The Berry's Bullets in quantity of 250 are a great deal for all but hunting loads. I found the 125gr hollow point target bullets to be very accurate from 1,030 - 1,200 fps and use it in lever silhouette matches. Look up loads for Tite Group. Most call for 4-5 gr. Mine likes 4.4 gr for best accuracy with the 125gr. I have some of the Berry's plated 158gr HP's in the mail now. Just taper crimp the plated bullets.

For hunting, you can't go wrong with a 158-180 gr jacketed bullet with more heat.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The easiest cheapest route to barrel o' monkey fun is Lee tumble lube round nose .38 specials pushed to about 800 fps by a pinch of Unique.
I cast a few hundred of these a couple of time a year using a medium alloy, and JPW/liquid ALOX lube.

Somewhat like a "big bore" .32/20, the little Marlin with a peep sight simply cannot miss at my nominally short ranges shots, 30-40 yards.
Useful for critter reduction as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As disappointed as I am in my handloads in my .44, my 1894c loves my 158gr xtp loads and all factory jhp 158’s
ive had several 44s over the years and was disappointed with accuracy of every one. They often have oversize bores, and at least the older guns had way too slow a twist rate.

·
Banned
890 Posts
ive had several 44s over the years and was disappointed with accuracy of every one. They often have oversize bores, and at least the older guns had way too slow a twist rate.
Yeah, what is is 1:38 or something, sounds like a muzzloader. Just picked up some 180 and 200gr xtp's to try. Won't be good for hunting but fun shooters and for 2 legged defense. Mine will shoot my 240gr xtp loads into 2" at 50yds. Ok, but my Blackhawk is just as accurate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.