Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Interesting. However, if/when people start showing up in emergency rooms with these inside, the political heat on the mfr may be too much to last long on the market? If I recall correctly, that is what happened with the "Black Talon" ammunition back-a-ways and the reportedly excessive tissue damage the Doctors complained about and caused a political fall-out of sorts. It was neat stuff, but I guess the manufacturer decided it wasn't worth the bad publicity; although I think they later came out with something similar under new name though... can't remember?

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's common knowledge that once a bullet breaks apart that the individual pieces loose forward momentum very quickly. Not a any different that driving a bullet too fast and it breaks apart on impact and leaving a nasty surface wound. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Interesting. However, if/when people start showing up in emergency rooms with these inside, the political heat on the mfr may be too much to last long on the market? If I recall correctly, that is what happened with the "Black Talon" ammunition back-a-ways and the reportedly excessive tissue damage the Doctors complained about and caused a political fall-out of sorts. It was neat stuff, but I guess the manufacturer decided it wasn't worth the bad publicity; although I think they later came out with something similar under new name though... can't remember?
A lot of the modern handgun ammo (especially Winchester/Olin's defensive rounds) are almost exactly the same as the Black Talon loads, but the marketing changed after the outcry about how it created nasty wounds. My favorite tactical 40S&W load is a Winchester "White Box" load, a bonded 180-grain bullet that is nothing more than a Black Talon with a different look, and a different name. The Speer Gold Dot is very similar in design, and is considered the Gold Standard when FBI Criteria are considered.

The RIP bullets are interesting, but not what I'd use on game. Give me a bullet that can break bones and anchor an animal on the spot, and I'm happy. The RIP stuff is meant to produce shallow wounds in soft tissue with lots of secondary fragments, which is fine for human targets, but not ideal for game.

Reactions: 57 Texan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.