Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
photo (9).JPG

Sparky... thanks for the samples! Now I need your exact order spec for the Accurate (pun intended) Mould. Those were incredible.

Wet Dog... thanks for all your development work!

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey Bill,

That is some "sure fine" shooting!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Great shooting. I wish I could find some Unique, I have not found any around here, in years.
I think "Wind" is buying it all up.:)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey Bill i think the barrel is shot completely out, have you thought of trying jacked bullets. It's worth a try. lol. eh

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill That's some fine shooting! Wow! Looks like those samples were put to good use! That hyphen crowd may be on to something.
What powder are you using?
Sparky... 10gr of Unique.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ya gotta be happy with results like that. No wonder You want to get that mould ASAP.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Hey Bill It looks like that bullet is going to work fine in your gun!
I'm not sure if you are set up to cast already, and I know .382 is tough to find made by a commercial caster, but if your in a hurry for a .382 bullet till then Rim Rock makes an excellent 240 grain flat base version.
It's deadly with 10 grains of Unique!:biggrin:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lou... I have been known to melt some lead and .382 is the magic number! While I do not consider myself and expert caster, I do enjoy it. Thanks for tip on Rim Rock.

Wind... I just finished putting an MVA Combination Front and Rear on my Browning 1886 45-70. I am torn on my Cowboy as to what to do. As you may remember I have a hole in my tang from the previous owners tang sight. I sure would like to use that hole with the long tang screw for the base of an MVA Soule. I really do not want to drill two additional holes. I do not know if MVA (68 and 69 made me type NVA!) will do a custom base. A call to the MVA folks is at hand.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Bill I see a few of these newer Cowboys like a .382 bullet!

That makes me feel good about my 115 year old Model 1893. At first I thought it was on the X large side.

It's good to know it is near the same as the more modern Marlins.

Good luck to you in your casting!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
View attachment 116967

Sparky... thanks for the samples! Now I need your exact order spec for the Accurate (pun intended) Mould. Those were incredible.

Wet Dog... thanks for all your development work!
TB: I really can't take any credit for Tom's (Accurate Molds) excellent mold. I just tweaked his 38-250B to work in my generously sized Cowboy bore. Just order that mold with the size you want it to drop using the alloy you plan to use for that rifle. Since all of his molds are "custom" you can make adjustments like bearing surface ahead of the crimp groove, lube groove depth/width/number, meplat, ogive, plainbase/gas check, etc...

When I ordered mine I had already tested several other bullets and had a pretty good idea what mine would like. I wanted plenty of bearing surface ahead of the crimp groove, I needed it to drop at least .382" with my alloy and weigh 255gr+. Tom made the adjustments and it fit like a tailored suit. I was just lucky that my 1893 was equally receptive to the same bullet.

That being said it has not always worked or even fed in some of the rifles it has been tried in. Others required modification (shortening brass) to get it to work.

Tom's 38-250B is a good starting point. Even plain based it can be driven pretty hard - I've had it up near 1600 fps using published data for IMR 4198 - without leading issues. It also seems to fly very well at long range reaching 1,050 yards with a consistency that allowed even me to get multiple hits. That bullet with the Ubiquitous U-pick Unique load does pretty well out to 800 though it'll use up an MVA #108.

Nice shooting and glad to hear it is working out for you.
Mo

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hey Bill

That is some fine shooting. From what yardage did you punch the paper. I could not read it on the target you posted. Thanks for sharing with it. That is some great information.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Wet Dog after reading this post I went back to the sticky on this bullet and gave it a good read.

I did notice you modestly try to remind others you can't take credit for the bullet as you just tweaked or modified an existing mold.

Well It seems your name is engraved in stone... or should I say lead on this one!:biggrin:

Take it all in buddy, you deserve the label folks put on that bullet!

Funny how folks try to attach their name to something popular so... go get that Patent before your sued for infringement!
And don't forget us when your rich and famous. Hehehe

You even did it yourself! ( Ubiquitous U-pick Unique load )...I thought that load came from a reloading manual. LOL.

PLEASE....Just don't let the paparazzi see you in the blue robe and cowboy boots!:flute:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I should mention that I used untrimmed Starline Long brass, crimped at the crimp groove. This OAL, 2.540, cycled just fine in my Cowboy.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Ive been very tempted to swap the scope out on my CB for a long range mil dot I have on a shelf. Sure would like to stretch the wet dog out a bit with some glass on it. See if it won't give a couple bolt guns a run for the money before I put the vernier on it. Wouldn't that be fun.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Ive been very tempted to swap the scope out on my CB for a long range mil dot I have on a shelf. Sure would like to stretch the wet dog out a bit with some glass on it. See if it won't give a couple bolt guns a run for the money before I put the vernier on it. Wouldn't that be fun.
It is fun, I bet the CB is up to the task if you are. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Just a higher pair of mounts and a trigger job away JB! Might make a interesting thread. Sounds like you've been there and done that. Did you happen to post anything on it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts