Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a listing for an 1895 cowboy 26" barrel in 45-70 on a "for sale" website.
Brand new in the box. .....So I couldn't resist trying to make a trade since my "gun fund" is looking rather dismal due to my not being able to resist any new toys.
The gentleman needed cash and didn't want to trade; but reduced the price to $775 from $850.
So tempted , but I must live with my wife in complete harmony, which isn't possible when being chastised for my spending habits.....oh well. thanks for listening......

But I REALLY want that gun!

·
Super Moderator
12,920 Posts
I'm sorry, but if it is JM stamped, you don't jump on that rifle at that price, you are a fool. That's a turn around and make money proposition if there ever was one, wife be darned. Mine already knows how it works. I'm sure you have another rifle in your collection you can part with after you buy that rifle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't tell her it's a CIA type thing.....................................she's on a need to know basis...........................................and she don't really need to know.:burnout:

That's how I bought my 45/70 and all was well till she actually looked at a bank statement and I got the 20 questions enquiry with the now more improved stinky eye. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission............just saying.

·
Registered
473 Posts
buy it and ask for forgiveness later, unless it will put you in a bind financially. Regular old 1895s are going for $600 around me, I'd jump on that cowboy in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
If you were going to trade a rifle for the CB, buy the CB and sell the rifle you were going to trade for it. The rifle you were going to trade must be worth $800.00.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Look, how many times has your wife come in with a bunch of bags and you ask her why she bought all this stuff...... and the answer is 'but honey, it was on sale, I saved a lot of money." This is the opportune time for you to use the exact same excuse!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Buy it, at least you will have something to show for your money. Others would waste their money on groceries and such. I try to tell people this almost daily. Some people just won’t listen. :dancing2:

·
Registered
395 Posts
You obviously have not reached "critical mass" in your gun collection yet. That's the point where you can sneak another gun into the safe and it blends in with all of the other ones in there. ;)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Well social harmony in this case should prevail. You didn't miss out on much if it is not a JM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where else in the world of advice can you get so much info on how to handle your Minister for War, Finance and Nagging and why you should buy another gun..............................simple really if the gun isn't JM marked go buy a .458 for that extra paddock pizza effect or just go out and buy a brand new 45/70 so as your feelings are truly represented by the fact that you missed out on what seemed to be a bargain.................................and prepare ye the man cave as that's where you'll be living for a while.

Everything has consequences unfortunately.:burnout:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ll run counter the prevailing sentiment: good job resisting! Your wife and you should have equal say in your financial decisions and you denying your personal desires shows your devotion to her!

That being said sell another gun quickly!

·
Registered
13,419 Posts
If she was out in the garage polishing the spokes on the bike (with a toothbrush), she wouldn't have time to meddle in your firearms affairs. And when she's done with the wheels, the tank and fenders need to be waxed.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Yes---good advice from others here. You always want to upgrade your collection. You buy quality pieces and then part with your younger day junk stuff ! That is how it works. Or you replace something with one that is in more pristine shape. Or if you can pull it off you just tell your wife the new rifle was one that just got dug out from way back in your safe !----LOL.................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts